healthy competition in training group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
My older dd is one of 5 or 6 girls in her training group that are all 11 and training Level 9 together. It is fun for the most part because they are all the same age and same interests, and in the same place in their lives. Having said that, it is also a bit competitive. I think generally speaking the peer pressure and competitiveness is positive, along the lines of we all can do this! But if one seems to have a problem with something, it is hard. They generally have different strengths, so it isn't always the same person struggling which is good. What do you think about that kind of daily competition? The first to get this skill, the last to get this skill, etc. And then what do you think it will mean at meets when they are all the same level, same age...

Welcome to life! You just descibed many of the best reasons our kids participate in sports at an age when we, as adults, can help them "process" lifes trials and triumphs. It would be artificial if there were no controversy, conflicts, rewards, or reasons to celebrate! While I would never hope for instances of poor sportsmanship or failure, I still appreciate that these are opportunities to help children learn about the people they'll encounter through-out their lives. I've come to realise that these kids we work with are merely adults lacking in life experience, and that sports is a meaningfull pastime through which these can be gained. Take whatever happens in the gym as an early opportunity to help your child learn about more than setting goals and working toward them.

My daughter is also in a L9 group with all of them being the same age. (12/13) 11 girls in total. I have found it so far to be a good thing. They push each other, support each other, and also feel bad for each other. I think it has brought out the best in my daughter. It has also taught her how to be gracious when things don't go her way and to be humble when things do go her way.

She has only been at this gym for a very short time so my experience is limited. (she came from a gym where healthy competition did not exist, it was in fact the exact opposite)

A little story. My daughter came to this gym under not so great circumstances, and it was all very sudden. She only competed 1 meet with them before going to states. The entire situation was beyond stressful for her. She went to States, 8 girls from this new team in her age group and she won the AA. A few weeks after States one of the mother's from her team called me because she wanted to let me know how very proud HER daughter was of my daughter. She knew how hard it was for her and she was just so excited that she was able to go out and have such a great meet.

That conversation showed me two things. (1) How much these girls really care about one another, even though they compete against each other, they are truely happy when one of their teammates has success.
(2) She is in a very healthy gym environment. The coaches help instill that sense of competition but also the bond that these girls have for one another.

I really believe that in the right situation, competiton amongst peers is a wonderful thing and it teaches kids life lessons that they will carry with them, and be able to rely on forever.

The best year of competition I had was when there was another girl my age at my level; we were a tiny program & the highest level we'd ever had. After she injured herself into retirement I stagnated for a while. We were the best of friends, but we really pushed each other.

As a coach I don't egg on competition between teammates; they'll do enough of that themselves. I know they're going to compare themselves, & that's fine, as long as they see each other as teammates & training partners rather than adversaries. I'd never, say, reward for the first kid to do $SKILLTHATACTUALLYMATTERS.

this reminds me of a gym in the area that had 3 girls that moved to level 10 together when they were 13. I don't know them, just always seen them at meets, always cheering each other on, getting stronger each season. 1 was a senior last year and the other 2 are seniors this year. All 3 received full rides to college...happy ending to their journey together

I like hearing all of the positives - so far so good and we are happy, which is the most important part. I hope they all are able to stick together.

My daughter is also in a L9 group with all of them being the same age. (12/13) 11 girls in total. I have found it so far to be a good thing. They push each other, support each other, and also feel bad for each other. I think it has brought out the best in my daughter. It has also taught her how to be gracious when things don't go her way and to be humble when things do go her way.

She has only been at this gym for a very short time so my experience is limited. (she came from a gym where healthy competition did not exist, it was in fact the exact opposite)

A little story. My daughter came to this gym under not so great circumstances, and it was all very sudden. She only competed 1 meet with them before going to states. The entire situation was beyond stressful for her. She went to States, 8 girls from this new team in her age group and she won the AA. A few weeks after States one of the mother's from her team called me because she wanted to let me know how very proud HER daughter was of my daughter. She knew how hard it was for her and she was just so excited that she was able to go out and have such a great meet.

That conversation showed me two things. (1) How much these girls really care about one another, even though they compete against each other, they are truely happy when one of their teammates has success.
(2) She is in a very healthy gym environment. The coaches help instill that sense of competition but also the bond that these girls have for one another.

I really believe that in the right situation, competiton amongst peers is a wonderful thing and it teaches kids life lessons that they will carry with them, and be able to rely on forever.

This almost exactly describes my DD's situation at her current (1 year anniversary last week so not-so-new anymore) gym. It has been a really good experience!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back