Height for Back Layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
Another dumb question from me -- how high does a level 7 layout need to be? DD has her layout and is being told she has great in-air body form, but they'd like to see it higher. She's being instructed to throw her arms harder (my words not hers).

To my completely untrained eye it looks fine, so I'm wondering how high the body needs to be. Should the feet be above where the head is while standing? What's the deduction if it's not high enough? Thank you for any insight.

I don't recall required height being specifically defined in the women's rules; there's definitely a deduction for not going high enough, but I don't think there is a specific definition as to what constitutes "high enough."

A good rule of thumb, though, is to watch the head as the gymnast takes off. The head should rise on takeoff, not fall, such that when the gymnast is inverted, her head is at least as high as it would be if she were standing on the floor in the same spot -- and higher is always better.

good, Geff. and i'll add that height means nothing if rotation is not there to back it up.:)

And on top of all thay... good posture during the take-off to get the height, and good posture/shape during the lay-out.

Ok well the coaches generally know what their doing best, and I would trust what they say. If they are concerned I would be but if not then chances are she's doing it correctly! I know that right now my tumbling isn't as good in any of my passes but that's just because I have to get stronger in one of my legs. Just tell her to keep working hard at it and do her best! Best of luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back