height in front tuck on floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
Hi just wondering if there is anything my dd can do to get more height on her front tuck on floor. She does it well on tumble trak and vault but floor she sticks it but only just needs more height.

First off, I am NOT a coach! BUT... what I've seen a lot of the coaches do is have the girls do a front tuck onto higher mats. That helps to develop the leg strength (I guess that's it) that they need to really punch out of it.

You're daughter is only like 6 or 7 from what I remember. It is going to be hard to get a lot of height out of a spring floor at the average size of a six year old. They can't compress the floor that much even if they go through the technical steps right. I'm sure with more conditioning it will improve.

I can imagine that if she's only 6 or so that it'd be pretty hard to get a real punch on floor. As dunno said, that skill comes with conditioning and age/weight. However, on a side note, make sure doesn't try to throw her head down into her flip on floor. Spot the wall before the flip if needed. This can happen sometimes if your just trying to get around instead of punching and then flipping.

I didn't realize she was so young!!! As others have posted, it's going to be hard to get that little teeny body to get a big bounce off of a spring floor!

To increase height you need to keep your chest up, ride your rebound, and flip at the height using your arms to set and throw. Even with a small rebound if you set well you will flip higher. My coaches always have me do pike up on mats but even when they are as tall as me i can still land them, im good with power :) , but i change it when i get to the floor because the surface i am flipping onto is lower that why i have to spot somthin g high to flip over.

thanks for that. she can do it on tumble trak with mats high no problem. but floor it is like she does something different. The other girl in her class same age has no problem doing it mind you she does have legs about twice the size of my dd, she is solid build. So maybe it is just a height and weight thing. Not sure hopefully it will be steady in 5 weeks for regionals

This helped me a lot! (I am a gymnast, not a coach!)

I would just run and punch in front of my bedroom door, and try to hit the very top.. (Does this make sense?)
Then once I got used to jumping so high..I ran, punched, and tried to hit the ceiling! This really helped with getting the whole "Going up" part...which will give you more height..

When she is working them at gym... Tell her to find something in the gym (that is higher than the door), I use a trophy or fan..
1. Run, hurdle, punch
2. Reach your hands up to the object
3. Keep stretching up! (Only watch that object!)
4. Once you feel like its coming down, hollow below your ribs to make it round..and kick yours heals to your butt!
5. As you are landing, find that object again, and watch it! *Good luck!!

To sum this up...Spot a high object, and watch it the whole time its in sight.. :cool:

P.s. The higher the object, the higher the tuck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back