WAG Help with diver learning BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachLo

Coach
I am having trouble teaching a gymnast how to correctly do her BHS, she has been diving for many years which is causing her to throw her head back and not jump very much. I have done many jump back drills with her with no success. Any ideas or drills for us? Thanks

Not sure if the diving is 'causing her to throw her head back and not jump very much,' but you can do your jump back drills with the front of her leo in her mouth or foam or bean bag under her chin to force her to think about her head position, and then lots of repetition. Keep at it. :)

Not much tip wise for jumping harder, but if you have her tuck a bean bag (or something similar) it may help with throwing her head back. She probably is "spotting" the water which she obviously doesn't need to do.. lol. I don't have any other tips but I will say for the short time I dove, I did my back dives like a BHS. This resulted in many, many smacks onto my stomach... OUCH.

She may admit, if you ask her directly, that she's certain a bhs requires jumping to upside down instead of jumping and letting the jump motion's energy move her toward and through the upside down position. I ask this question every time I work with a kid who's already begun to learn a bhs elsewhere, and when I ask nice they almost always admit to thinking my version of the skill is "like totally weird" or something like that.

Go figure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back