WAG Help with pullover on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, my daughter is a youngster. She is having issues with the pullover on bars. She can do the actual pullover part (most of the time), but then she just stops and can't fully finish the skill by pulling up into a support. So basically her tummy rests on the bar and she can't 'sit up' and finish unless i hold her feet down. Any ideas?? We've been struggling with this one for a long time.

She will get it, it just needs more time. Some skills take a while as they need to build up strength and understand their body. I promise this will be the first of many. If you can let it go and just wait it will be way less stressful in the long run.

Later skills like the kip can actually take some kids years to get.

We have all been there, we all get it but really no point doing anything at home.

Building core strength will help a lot. One thing I was told when I was learning pullovers was to use a hollow/candle stick shape when you are reaching that point (about half way around the bar). I think this is one of the skills where the 'dots have to connect'-- as in, understanding the skill and the movements that go into it.

How old is she? My DD was stuck in that position until shortly after she turned 5. Often times body proportions of the little ones keep them from being able to get upright. My DD's head was just too big :)

She'll get it. My DD struggled for almost a year with it....then we went on vaca and the gym was closed for a week. She walked into the gym after 2 weeks off and did it the first try- it was almost like she needed the mental break from trying so hard. :) It will come!

It's a skill that needs strength, technique and the correct proportions. ;) Lots of younger kids (under 5) really struggle with the finish because their proportions make it very difficult. It will come, this is one of those things that have to kind of "click" and it won't be the last. Don't stress over it!! :)

I have lots of little ones who struggle with that exact problem (and some bigger ones!). She'll get it, just give it some time. Body proportions, tiny hands, and just not fully understanding what they need to do or what their body is doing can all be part of the problem, one that usually fixes itself. For little ones as long as they can get themselves up over the bar I count it as them "getting" the skill- because that's a huge accomplishment by itself!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back