Parents Homemade Conditioning Equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZachsMom

Proud Parent
I made my son a mushroom to go at home. He also has a bar (for pull ups, pullovers, etc.), rings, parallets and a rope. He uses these things for basic conditioning and basic skills. He is working now to move to level 5 and needs to get a kip. Any ideas of home equipment and conditioning drills to prepare him for kip?

Leave the kip work in the gym. He needs to work on it under the supervision of a coach so he's learning to do it right. :) Keep in mind too that the kip is a bonus for L5 boys, not a requirement.

Leave the kip work in the gym. He needs to work on it under the supervision of a coach so he's learning to do it right. :) Keep in mind too that the kip is a bonus for L5 boys, not a requirement.

I agree that the kip should be done in gym. :) I don't want him to learn it wrong for sure! I was thinking more of conditioning for the strength/muscles used! I didn't realize the kip was the bonus...i thought it was required!

The bar is all he needs, and honestly, he doesn't "need" it unless he really wants to do extra stuff. He'll get there! Kips are as much or more about technique as strength.

From my limited experience it's fine for kids to work on basic skills/ conditioning at home as long as the gymmy is driving the 'play' but as parents at home we need to be very careful that home is a fun place and that we parents aren't turning home into a mini gym environment- after all most adults leave their work in the office so to speak!:)

From my limited experience it's fine for kids to work on basic skills/ conditioning at home as long as the gymmy is driving the 'play' but as parents at home we need to be very careful that home is a fun place and that we parents aren't turning home into a mini gym environment- after all most adults leave their work in the office so to speak!:)

I agree...home should definitely be a fun, stress free, and pressure free place for our kids! I have definitely seen some gym moms/dads take it too far with "training" at home. I believe this is counterproductive and a level of "abuse" in some cases! My little guy is always doing something active at home and he loves fitness :) Thank you for your response!

I would not have him practice kips at home. But actually, the kip is not a bonus at L5. If the gymnast attempts it and needs spotter assistance to get into support, the entire deduction is only .5. So you will see a lot of L5 boys competing without the kip.

Oops, right, my bad. It's the kip cast that's the bonus. But we did have a bunch of guys who started L5 without the kip. They all survived! And they are now all L6s.

It's good to know they eventually make it to the other side. :) Mine just spent his whole L5 season without a kip, but he's hopeful that he'll get there soon, or at least in time for his second L5 season.

I agree with those above who said 'leave gym in the gym'. I would further that by adding, 'leave the coaching to the coaches.'

The best thing for home is basic strength work. Chin ups, hanging leg raises/holds, arch/dish holds, planks. And lots and lots of handstands.

Yes..that stinking kip. It will come. It is as much about timing as it is about strength. I agree with the ones saying leave it in the gym. He will get it.

He seems to have a lot of equipment at home...bar and rings? The pull ups, etc are great for home, paralletes are great for doing strength, and the home mushroom is good. Not sure about rings and bar. THe kids in our gym that have come through and have had all of that at home, have burnt out much faster than those who leavel gym at gym. If he likes fitness, have him do other things...bike rides, skating, playing at the park, etc. It will keep his enthusiasm for the sport much longer!!

Good luck! I am sure we will see that kip soon.

Yes..that stinking kip. It will come. It is as much about timing as it is about strength. I agree with the ones saying leave it in the gym. He will get it.

He seems to have a lot of equipment at home...bar and rings? The pull ups, etc are great for home, paralletes are great for doing strength, and the home mushroom is good. Not sure about rings and bar. THe kids in our gym that have come through and have had all of that at home, have burnt out much faster than those who leavel gym at gym. If he likes fitness, have him do other things...bike rides, skating, playing at the park, etc. It will keep his enthusiasm for the sport much longer!!

Good luck! I am sure we will see that kip soon.

Thank you for your response and great advice! I am new to being a parent of a gymnast and all tips and advice are welcomed! :)

To clarify, he uses the bar for pull ups and chinups; rings for pull ups and muscle ups. The bar is head height and rings are hanging from playground...nothing too fancy! These things considered okay? Not too much?

To clarify, he uses the bar for pull ups and chinups; rings for pull ups and muscle ups. The bar is head height and rings are hanging from playground...nothing too fancy! These things considered okay? Not too much?

yes, just don't have him over do it. and about the kip...kids have knocked their front teeth out, split their lip, bruised their chin and chipped their teeth and broken their nose whilst doing kips. so, please leave that at the gym under supervision of a coach. :)

Reactions: sce
yes, just don't have him over do it. and about the kip...kids have knocked their front teeth out, split their lip, bruised their chin and chipped their teeth and broken their nose whilst doing kips. so, please leave that at the gym under supervision of a coach. :)

Ouch!!! Will do...don't want that to happen for sure! Thank you for your response. :)

I agree that the kip should be done in gym. :) I don't want him to learn it wrong for sure! I was thinking more of conditioning for the strength/muscles used! I didn't realize the kip was the bonus...i thought it was required!
If he wants drills to do at home, then have him ask his coach. Otherwise, he's 6yo let gym stay at gym. This gymnastics journey is a marathon not a race, let him enjoy the journey.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back