Parents Hours per level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
Just curious how many hours your kids train/trained for the Jo compulsory levels?

I have a 5 y/o level 2 who trains 4 hrs during the school year, and increased to 6 hrs for the summer...I wasn't expecting the increase and i am on the fence about it, as it seems like a lot. ..but when I picked her up yesterday, she said she wanted to go four! Lol...of course..that's only day one:) we'll see...anyways...just curious what to expect if she sticks with it the next few years?

Just curious how many hours your kids train/trained for the Jo compulsory levels?

I have a 5 y/o level 2 who trains 4 hrs during the school year, and increased to 6 hrs for the summer...I wasn't expecting the increase and i am on the fence about it, as it seems like a lot. ..but when I picked her up yesterday, she said she wanted to go four! Lol...of course..that's only day one:) we'll see...anyways...just curious what to expect if she sticks with it the next few years?

Is it two hours 3x/week or three hours 2x/week?

It can vary so much from place to place. I would just ask your DDs coach what the other levels practice hours look like. I doubt they'd mind the curiosity at all.

My DD didn't do compulsories but I can say that in our case the hours ramped up really quickly. She went from 1.5 hours a week to 24 hours per week in about two years. One day to six. Each step of the way I had a say in it though. The hours will come, but the speed of moving up is something that parents can slow a little if they want to, even though they can't usually speed it.

I would say in my area (where they do not compete or train L2) that L3s go about 10-12, L4s 12-16, L5s 16-20, and optionals at all our local gyms (save one, who has a more rec outlook) do 20+.

We are in region 1.

It can vary so much from place to place. I would just ask your DDs coach what the other levels practice hours look like. I doubt they'd mind the curiosity at all.

My DD didn't do compulsories but I can say that in our case the hours ramped up really quickly. She went from 1.5 hours a week to 24 hours per week in about two years. One day to six. Each step of the way I had a say in it though. The hours will come, but the speed of moving up is something that parents can slow a little if they want to, even though they can't usually speed it.

I would say in my area (where they do not compete or train L2) that L3s go about 10-12, L4s 12-16, L5s 16-20, and optionals at all our local gyms (save one, who has a more rec outlook) do 20+.

We are in region 1.

Our gym is on the low end of this range.

At our gym the breakdown is as follows:

Level 2 (pre-team): 4 hours/wk
Level 3: 6 (school),9 (summer) hours/wk
Level 4: 12 hours/wk
Level 5 and up: 16 hours/wk

We are region 6 and our L3s do 11.5 hrs over 3 days and our L4&5 do 15 hrs over 4 days. Slightly higher in the summer.

I think it varies significantly by gym. Dd's gym's hours are lower than most of the nearby gyms for levels 1-3, but then go to the higher end of hours compared to nearby gyms for level 4 and up. So even within a gym, whether they go a lot of hours or fewer hours compared to others at the same level at another gym may vary depending on level.

Also for the compulsory levels, some gyms do more hours a practice a day and fewer days of practice a week, and others do fewer hours per day but more days per week. Some don't practice on Saturday and some do practice on Saturday and have an extra free day during the week. Some parents hate Saturday practice because it interferes with family stuff and others love it because the school week is more relaxed.

I'm sure your gym wouldn't mind your asking. At dd's gym, the hours and the schedule tend to stay the same from year to year, although not always, so most parents know what lies ahead.

preteam- 3 hours
level 2- 4 hours
level 3- 6 or 9 (the 3rd day is optional)
level 4- 9 hours
level 5- 12 hours

Level 2 - 6 hours
Level 3 - 9-12 hours
Level 4/5 - 12-16
Level6/7 - 18
Level 8 - 20
Level 9/10 - 25

Or something like that depending on the year and how the groups break down. Generally a bump for summer. This seems about the normal for a lot of gyms in our area.

More hours for the summer months is very typical. There isn't school to deal with and for us summer has meant lots of extra conditioning so then it has to be longer to get to events and such.

This is roughly levels though. A higher level younger kid may go less hours and try to stay with kids closer to their age as long as possible. Trying to keep kids happy and healthy for the long haul is top priority around our gym. The truly talented kid will progress quickly on whatever hours they are given.

My dd was doing 4 hours in kindergarten, six that summer and nine in the fall. Then moved to 12 the next summer then 18, 22, then 25 the following years.

If you have a five year old level 2 that would generally mean some level of natural talent, which will likely naturally lead to a quick increase in hours.

Just keep an eye on your child and trust your mom gut. Try to find balance. Progressing early is exciting for all involved, just make sure that she is still having fun and getting what she needs from the rest of her life outside of gym.

Six hours seems typical for level 2.

Preteam 1 - 1 hour
Preteam 2 - 3 hours
Preteam 3 - 9 hours
Level 4 - 12
Level 5/7 - 16
Level 7 - 22
Level 8 - 24
Levels 9/10 - 28

Pre-team: 3 hours
Level 1: 4 hours
Level 2: 6 hours
Level 3: 9 hours
Level 4: 12 hours
Level 5: 16 hours
Level 6-10: 20 hours (6/7 may be less, I can't quite remember)
Elite: 28-30 hours

There are many threads on this if you search....goes for pages, I believe....and truly, it depends on the gym....which is why I would look for the other threads...because if I recall one of them was really great! :) Oh, and our level 2s go three times a week for 3 hours each time.

Level 2- 2.5 hrs 2x week
Level 3- and up 3 hours 3x a week plus another 3 on Sat optional but strongly recommended.

Same all year. Summer 4weeks of camp (again optional but strongly recommended) all levels can go. Full day 9-3 or half day 9-12. Will allow it to be mixed up, so kids can go part of the week full but some half, or just 1 extra day.....

At 5 my youngest was training l3 and went 9 hours a week. She started competing 3 beginning of 1st grade right after she turned 6. 9 hours a week. 4 days a week. That was two seasons and now she's finally a l4 and training 12 hours a week, going into 3rd grade :) your daughter will adjust and do great!!

My dad did 6 hours at level 2. She moved to 9 hours at them off the competition season. When they officially moved to level 3, she increased to 12. Next month she'll increase to 13 when she officially moves up to level 4. It used to be 16 for level 4, but they changed the hours this year. It will be 17 as a level 5.

Just wanted to add, any change schedule is hard and the littler they are the harder.

I am a rip the bandaid off type rather then a little at a time. They all adjust. And I do realize their behavior may be off so I lower expectations but we jump in, not wade in. :rolleyes:

My dad did 6 hours at level 2. She moved to 9 hours at them off the competition season. When they officially moved to level 3, she increased to 12. Next month she'll increase to 13 when she officially moves up to level 4. It used to be 16 for level 4, but they changed the hours this year. It will be 17 as a level 5.
Wow, I just saw all my typos.. sorry! It's my dd not my dad and I meant "at the end of the competition season". Lol.

At preteam, equivalent to Level 2, Dd was doing 6 hours. Level 3 (no competing) was 12. Level 4 (Finally competing ) was 15. Level 6 was 16. Now training 7/8 is 20. I think 7/8 is 18 during the school year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back