WAG How big age difference is your group or gym allow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tegan_tegan

Gymnast
In my team I think we have to wide of a age difference between some girls that it makes things uncomfortable because age varies from 11-16
I was wondering what is the 'normal' age groups in your gym or team?

Thank you

Yeah our boys team is something like that too and only to one coach as we only have 1 mag coach and 1 rec. mag coach

Last year's levels looked like this for the girls:

L7: ages 10-12
L8: ages 10-14
L9: ages 9-16
L10: ages 12-18

For the boys, workout groups looked like this:

L4 group: ages 5-8
L5 group: ages 7-10
L6 + optionals: ages 10-15

The USAG team in my gym tends to have smaller age differences.

The Rec team welcomes all ages (So like a level 4, 14-16 year old is quite fine) So somedays when practice attendance is low we will have 7-20 year olds. Usually there are at least 2 girls around the same age, so it works out. The younger ones really look up to the older ones.

At my dds gym they have a small amount of optional kids, there's only 12 so the age ranges from 9-17, my dd said it's not really awkward when the little girls are around they are just like having little sisters around.

Our L7 team was 11-16 this last year. All if you include everyone who trains together ( all of our optionals) then the range is 11-18. No real problems with it.

Dd's L4 team last season ranged from 7-13. This year's group (rising 5's) range from almost 8(will be 8 in less than a month)-12, the two oldest have dropped out. The level below is 8-12 and the level above has a smaller range, almost 11 (in the next month)-12.

DDs training group is similar 11-18 (L8-L10). My dd is 13, and she really enjoys the older girls, she has said that they are really supportive, and the girls closer to her age help keep it silly and fun. Every once in a while there might be something inappropriate accidentally said, but she doesn't care. There was one incident where the older girls weren't quite following directions and the younger girls were having a hard time standing up for what they were supposed to be doing - they all got yelled at... lesson learned about following the crowd!

We have 2 groups that do warm-up/conditioning together. the lower group is 9-13 I think. Our group is a much wider spread. our youngest is 12 and I am 19. Although we are also co-ed and T&T. I am actually older than one of the coaches.

Last season, we started with
L3 ages 8-12 (we were going to have a 7 yr old, but her mom was pregnant again and would be delivering sometime during meet season, so she had her sisters took the season off).
L4 ages 8-12
L6 ages 10-13
L7 ages 11-14 (we would have had 2 16 year olds, but they did high school instead)
Xcel Gold ages 12-15
Xcel Platinum ages 14-15

Haha at my tramp club we often have kids of 7 or 8 training with over sixties! No problems there at all, I love that there is such a diverse range. To give you an idea, at my 21st birthday party last weekend, there was me, 21, but also friends from gym who were 27,23,24,44, and 64. Embrace it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back