WAG How do I make it happen?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am 14 years old, freshman in high school, and level 6/7. On vault I compete a 1/2-1/2, on bars I do not have giants yet (that is the event I am 6), on beam I do front walkovers, and floor I do a layout 1/2. I want to become level 9/10 by senior year. I need help on how to get there, extra conditioning ideas, anything helps! I really want to be a college gymnast.

Hard work definitely pays off! Drills for the skills you need to get will help, and take it a few skills at a time. Don't overwork yourself, an injury will just make it harder. Push yourself, but know your limits. With hard work, you can definitely make it to college gymnastics!

Last edited:
You could make everything you do benefit your gymnastics? That really helps me. When I'm reading, I sit in splits/overs, you could block jump up/down stairs (you could also do heel rises), do v-ups during commercials when watching TV, when walking down a hallway, you could do a full turns, one for each foot(dont hit anything!), or my coach showed me this drill, it works wonders on leaps! Hold your leg our horizontal to the floor ahead of you, point your toes, straight legs, jump up with your one leg and land, and stick, and do the other leg. You can also do it with straddle jumps. Then, when you get good at it, you can try jumping up onto something (one for at the gym), try jumping onto an 11 incher, or a panel mat, ect.
You can totally do college gym if you worked hard! You can do it!

To add to supergirl's drills... I like to do things while brushing my teeth. Turns, heel/toe rises, etc. It also helps to balance on your leg on tiptoe, it will help with turns. Or, if I am learning a new routine, I will do parts of it (obviously not the tumbling). Helps with the muscle memory, so when you go to actually do the routine, you can concentrate on doing the skills right, not trying to remember what comes next.

I am not trying to be a Danny Downer here, but you also need to make sure that your goal is realistic. Allow me to suggest that you do some research into the different types of college gymnastics out there and what it takes to get to each one. Then you can judge if you can get there from where you are. Hard work and dedication will get you to your goal if your goal is attainable.

The NCAA has 3 divisions (I, II, and III) and they each have gymnastics. The difference, frankly, is the scholarship potential and the level of competetiveness (D-I being the most competetive). There is also club gymnastics at the college level. D-I gymnastics teams typically want multi-year level 10 gymnasts or higher (they need the big skills); D-III might take level 8/9 gymnasts.

Good Luck.

Good. Now that you have that narrowed down, go do some research on the type of gymnasts they bring into thier program every year. Oh, and don't forget the academics. Without the academic requirements you could be the best gymnast around and you won't get into the school.

Good Luck

Are your coaches aware of your goals? It would be good to schedule a meeting with them and your parents to discuss what skills you would need for a D2 school and how best to get there. Check out some videos of D2 gymnasts/meets and get a list of all the D2 schools. Remember you would be going there for more than just gymnastics so make sure the school is a good fit for you academically/location etc.

One last thing. Don't forget the NCAA Eligibility Center. If you don't get through those hurdles, you can kiss college athletics goodbye. NCAA eligibility may be different than what it takes to graduate from your high school; check carefully.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back