How do you get and retain team members?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I have noticed a HUGE boom in enrollment for gymnastics at my gym probably from the Olympics. We used to have 2 beginner classes and now have at least 18 a week! But the T&T program has really dropped off. We maybe have 10 kids that will compete down from almost 40 last season. We went from 9 hours of class for team each week to just 4. We seem to have plenty of rec. T&T kids but no one wants to compete? I am afraid the competition program will go away.

So my questions are how does your gym attract kids to T&T, how do you get them to commit to compete? And what pitfalls do you have to over come?

T&T seems to attract kids that aren't really committed at our gym, a lot of kids do it as a pass time until cheer, soccer etc. season starts then quit. I also think a lot of parents are all for competiting until they realize how much it costs. Maybe regular gym parents are better informed? I also wonder if people see trampoline as recreation like back yard trampoline and maybe don't see it as a sport or get bored when you have to learn correct form? I don't know. I just want some ideas to pass along to the owner that may help in attracting and retaining team kids. We have great equiptment and it would be nice if our competitive program was as successful as gymnastics!

Thank you!

If you don't already then have the rec kids train at the same time as your top team gymnasts - so they can see what cool skills they can work towards on team, give them a reason to want to join team other than competing.

Maybe have a rec trampoline syncro routine day, low key competition with small prizes, get a few team members to put on a short display whilst "results are being calculated", recruit possible team members from there or hand out flyers.

Possibly offer a couple of free team sessions to promising rec kids without any pressure to join.

Good luck

Keep competing affordable (reasonable uniform clothing, etc) and give parents the option of paying it monthly, yearly (some will want to pay it when bonus season comes) or on a per-meet basis.

Offer a discount for artistic athletes to also join/compete T&T. They often only need 3 hours per week in addition to artistic to be able to compete and do well at T&T. This boost, as well as any good results at competitions they have could help spur interest in your program.

I am not exactly sure how the system works there, but here we have the "provincial" program which is the highest competitive program aimed to qualify for the championships, and also an "Invitational" program where kids compete at a lower skill level in more fun competitions (but still with compulsory routines, awards, etc.)

All great suggestion! But we actually already do all of them except making uniforms affordable, we all wear the same comp leo so it's $200 regardless. I do know they allow the little kids to wear cheap tank style ones. I have noticed that interest comes and goes and we now have a couple more kids from artistic that want to compete T&T. But I guess the biggest issue is no one besides myself and maybe one other are really dedicated to it. I was pumped the other night because I was hoping to get to work on my optional tramp routine since it was a 2 hour tramp/DM class only no tumbling. We spend almost almost 45 mins on tramp and I did 2 compulsory routines and the 3rd turn I got to work on my optional but had to get off because everyone else decided they would rather condition aka didn't want to do trampoline anymore. The whole class they messed around, and would just jump and play during their turns (teenage girls) and the worst was they refused to try when the coach got onto them they would not squeeze and blow the routine on purpose sp they could stop. it is just annoying when I have to pay for private lessons just so I can work on skills I should be able to work on during class. And this is the theme. Then comp season rolls around and they want to leave to go do cheer or something or can only make 1 or 2 meets which then stinks cost wise because a few of us have to pay a lot for coaching fees.

Anyway ranty again. Big picture is we have nice equiptment, our coach is willing to coach if you want to try. We have a ton of kids in our gym, no other gyms that offer t&t around. And I see great teams at meets with lots of kids from other gyms at meets, big and little gyms. So why can't we have a great team too?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back