Parents How does your gym handle team camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto2js

Proud Parent
Each summer towards the end we have had a team camp. The first year my son was a level 4 and when for 4 hours 5 days that week and we paid about $80 (plus our regular monthly fees). Last year, DS was a level 4 and he went the whole day and it was an additional $100. This year, DS is a level 5 and I had expected he would go the whole day, and the cost would be about the same.

Well, the camp is 2 weeks away and the plan just came out. level 5 will come in the afternoon from 12-3:30. One afternoon the team is going bowling. so basically DS will get an additional 3.5 hours of training over what we already pay for and a game of bowling for $175!!

The team camp has been a favorite week of the year for DS but I just can't justify the cost. I can get him 5 hours of private lessons for that cost. I know it is an expensive sport but there is a limit for my 7 year old. Is this how it works in other places?? Am I overreacting??

That sounds a little fishy. How exactly is team camp different from regular practice? Are there different coaches coming in to help?

We don't have a camp so to speak at dd's gym but the hours are changing from next week as it is the school summer holidays, my youngest dd (7) was doing 2x 2 1/2 hours in the evening and will now do 2 x 5 hours on average per week (that includes a lunch break) during the day. My oldest dd (10) is doing a mix of her normal training times with a extra training day each week which is an extra 2 hour session, she was going from 3 1/2 hours a week split 2 hours one session and 1 1/2 hours the next and will be doing 2 x 2 hour sessions and 1 x 1 1/2 hours sessions. We are not get charged any extra this summer for the extra hours/days as the gym is going through a transition period and as a thank you for being patient we are getting the extra for nothing.

Little bit will also have a team camp. She normally goes 9.5hrs a week. With camp hours she will be there a total of 25 hours. It costs $175 as well. In our case I think the price is good for the extra hours as well as we have a pretty big name Olympian attending for several hours each day for the week. Do you know if your gym is bringing in a clinician? Maybe that is the reason for the extra cost.

We have team camp. It runs from 8:15-3:30 m-f and it costs $175 week- but, you take a percentage off your monthly tuition for each week you do team camp. For example, if you do four weeks you pay no tuition that month, only camp fees. Go one week and tuition is 25% off. There are also discounts for more than four weeks of camp in the whole summer.

We train for 9 a week and this will be 15, but 3.5 of those will be a team bowling trip. In years, past the whole team has come in and a few "extra" coaches have come (mostly all of our part timers are there at one time) about 6 hours a day was gymnastics and about 2 on other team building things. It was really the only time the whole team was in the gym at the same time. It was fun for the younger kids to be in conditioning relays with optional kids. With this years proposal, the optional guys will be there in the AM and the 4-5 in the PM. So even that part isn't going to be there.

I will say they are short staffed, we have had lots of turnover in the last few months. But it feels like less camp for more bucks. One major issue is if we opt out, DS will miss gym for 2 week in a row because we planned our summer vacation for the week before so he would be well rested for the full week camp that suddenly isn't going to happen. So, I felling like I'm stuck.

We have the option of coming in anytime during the summer for extra training an extra 6 hour per day it about $10 extra per day day so u go 10 till 4:30 have an hour break then do another 3.5 hours normal training if we were to attend all available times it would cost £50 per week plus £100 per month normal fee

I would definitely ask about this. Other parents cannot be happy either. You should not have to pay tuition and pay for camp unless you are getting both (reg work out and additional workouts). I think that someone might not have thought things through very well on this one :(

We have camp at our gym for 4 days and 3 nights. We check in on Thursday at lunch. The girls are broken into groups and do 45 minute rotations. Friday 1/2 day is swimming and 1/2 day at the gym. Saturday is all day at the gym. In the afternoon we have meet the Olympians/talk. The Olympians are there the entire time of camp and work with the girls. Sunday morning is open gym/show off new skills
for the parents awards and home by 1. The cost for all of this is 300. This includes all meals snacks and hotel stay for the campers

Our team has a three day camp, 9-4 each day so regular practice is cancelled the week of camp. The price is included in our regular tuition, no extra charge.

We have two camps for team girls in the summer. One is optional and an additional $120 over summer fees, and the other mandatory, and the cost included in the summer fees. Both camps have a similar schedule. Time for training, additional coaches/judges brought in, critique meet or at least critique of routines in an informal setting, water fun with their teammates, dance staff brought in for a dance routine, and a fun pool party the last day. We pay a lump summer fee for everything rather than monthly tuition over the summer, so I've never compared the cost...

That seems very confusing. Maybe they made a mistake and the schedule starts earlier? If it was $100 last year for the full day...you should definitely ask.

We have an extra 'skills' camp this weekend. I believe I total it's about 15 hours between Friday evening through Sunday. The cost is $200 or $45 per 3 hour session. I think. Just know DD is going to them all lol

This is outside of regular practice and is optional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back