WAG how many press handstands can you/your DD do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katie

How many press handstands from sitting can you (your DD) do, what level are you in and how old are you?

I know many L9 gymnasts, a few can do 5 or more, a few can barely do one and most of them can do about 3 although they all work them daily.

I can't really understand why they can't do more when they train for them daily and are so strong.

And if you/your DD can do at least one - is it harder on floor or beam?
And which side of the beam is easier? On the "narrow" side where your hands are close together or "sideways" when hands are shoulder width apart?
Would love to hear your opinion!

On a good day, my daughter can do 10, she can do 5 consistently, and on a bad day, 2-3. She just turned 7, and loves them on beam a lot more than floor. She can do them on both, but beam is easier for more in a row for her. Easiest is sideways, where her hands are shoulder width apart.

I'm level 9 and 15, and we do 5 during our warm up, but when were using them as conditioning my coach has us do 10. I prefer them sideways on beam or on floor.

My DD is training L8 and can't do a press from sitting. She moved to her current gym a year ago, at the start of L7. Her old gym didn't work on them, so I doubt she'll ever get them.

I don't think my DD can do one from sitting. It is not something that is worked on at all at our gym. I am not sure if I understand what you mean by doing it on a beam but DD can stand in front of one (sideways) and then press up from there about 10 times. Her problem on the floor are her legs are REALLY long and she just can't get them out of the way. She is 4'9" and has a 27 inch inseam to give you an idea how long they are :)

My 6 yo DD can do up to 3 in a row right now. For the time being she prefers them on floor, but I have a feeling once she's more consistent she will prefer beam.

My 10 year daughter can do between 3-5. She loves doing them on the beam and on the floor. Only a few kids at her gym can do it.

My girls never trained them ever. So none.

That is not something that seems to be trained at the gyms around here either. I haven't even seen optional level girls at either of the gyms we've been at doing this skill. Yet it sounds like it must be an important skill, so I don't know why it's not trained around here.

My DD is almost 8, training L4-ish. She can get up easily but the down part is a little rough so she can't do them continuously without putting her bum on the floor. However, after she lands on her bum, she can go right back up and she can probably do at least 5 of these in a row.

They seem to train them every day in sets of 10.

Our gym works on these quite a bit and there is definitely a variety of abilities. My dd is one of only a few that can do more than one in a row without touching down. Most can do one up but just step down or fall down to their butts. Everyone has to complete ten or so at whatever version they are working on. They all work them most days at all levels so I'm not sure what differentiates those who it comes to and those it doesn't, but it is clear that this is something very difficult. It always impresses the pants right off me.

Dds record is 11 in a row without touching, but that was during a competition between her and the bigger girls at the gym. This was on the floor. I would say six to eight consistently without touching down and then finishing to ten or fifteen bottom on floor between. She is working pike presses now, which she can do one or two on those little hand bars (paralettes?).

She is ten and a level 7/8 (not determined yet). She is small and has amazing core strength, which I think plays directly to this skill. Now, pull-ups or rope climb? Not so much. She can keep up but nothing to note. Weird how strengths work that way.

She says sideways on the beam is easiest, then floor and the hardest is straddling the beam.

wow, thanks for all your comments! What a bummer that some gyms don't work them at all!!! It's my favourite skill and I think it is very important!

Why do you think does it vary so much an how many you can do? Is it just training?

I don't know a lot of people who can do more than 5. Even some high level athletes who work on them daily seem to not get more reps.

But if they can do more, it seems they can do loads, like at least 10.

I also know many little girls who can easily do 5 in a row, but are not able to do a single pull-up, are bad at push-ups can' t do leg lifts!

Very interesting topic in my opinion :)

My DD is 14 (can officially say that as of 4 hours ago!), level 10, can barely do one although she has been trying everyday for 3.5 years!

wow, Level10! respect! That's so weird, because she does work on them! I bet she is crazily strong!

I'm level 9 and 15, and we do 5 during our warm up, but when were using them as conditioning my coach has us do 10. I prefer them sideways on beam or on floor.

Wow, so cool that you are L9! So all in your team can do 10 in a row? amazing!

My DD is training L8 and can't do a press from sitting. She moved to her current gym a year ago, at the start of L7. Her old gym didn't work on them, so I doubt she'll ever get them.

Why do you doubt she will ever get them?? Everyone can do it! I believe in her

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back