WAG How much harder to go from yurchenko tuck to pike to layout?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yuenling

Proud Parent
hi, my daughter had a successful level 8 season despite her wrist problems in the beginning of the season. She scored a 9.275 on her vault at regionals and has been pretty much getting that score since the beginning of the season.

At one point her coach was going to teach her the yurchenko pike but because of the new level 8 vault rule and perhaps not looking so good, the coach kept her with competing a tuck.

My question is, how much work is entailed in going from a tuck to a pike to a layout? When I look at how high she is in the air on her tuck and her stuck landings, the only difference I see is the shape of her legs. How much difference does that make? Does it make her rotate slower so she has to block so much higher? Etc?

Our kids are only learning the yurchenko layout. They progress from the tsuk pike to that. I gather that's because the tuck and pike are worth less than a tsuk.

DD also competes a Tsuk pike because it's a 4.2 difficulty in fig and a Yurchenko pike is valued at a 4.0. In the US it seems like the focus is on the Yurchenco, but all of the fig values for Tsuks are higher. DD very easily went from a tuck to a pike on both vaults, but she says it's very hard to go from pike to layout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back