How much height is needed for a double back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I have a few questions I guess but this is all stemming from new fears. I have a t&t competition is about a month and suddenly I am losing all my skills. I need to compete a barani double back for one of my double mini passes. Funny thing is I have done it a billion times but now I am scared. First issues is how much height is required to complete a double back? I know girls do them off beam so it couldn't be too excessive but I never feel high enough. Here is a video of me doing a single MOV00966 - YouTube please keep in mind this was after 4.5 hours of training at the end of class so the form stinks. I don't think it is anywhere close to high enough to do a double no matter how hard I pull. What do you think?

Other issues is I guess I am having vestibular issues (for Dunno) I gained a lot of ground for a few months getting my double back on tramp and off double mini, getting my fliffis, my cody and a consistant rudi and my back full back even close to a double full. Thing is I under rotated a double back and hurt my next and broke a tooth at the time it really didn't bother me but slowly after I started losing skills. I could no longer do a double without a mat thrown in, I couldn't do the cody because all I could imagine right before going was falling on my head, then the back full went bye bye and now I am afraid of the rudi again.

Right before I go for a trick I think of some bad thing that could happen or think "no bail your stomach is not tight" or I think this is something wonky about the start and then I bail and half the time end up doing something scarier than if I had just done the trick like pulling for doubles and landing on my butt or pulling for codys and stopping and almost landing on my neck or bailing out half way through a rudi to a weird I don't know where I am at cat flip.

I am tired of it and so is my coach. Thing is I don't know what to do. Whenever I go anymore I feel like I am running into a burning building or something. I get so worked up. I know I can physically do the skills. Any advice on this? Is it best to suck it up and try and make myself not bail somehow? I have tried going back to basics and I do fine but when it comes time to do the hard stuff I freak out again.

I started the post about the double back because I am supposed to do it today. I want someone to look at the video and give me confidence of yeah if you pulled hard or tell me now way you need to get that higher. I would say the video is of a middle one for me not my best but not my worst so I want to base it off that as I don't know how good the one is going to be that I pull.

Thanks for any help or advice!

You seem pretty high to me, and from my personal experience with doubles on tumble track, you almost always go higher when you have the second flip. But if you've done it before, I'm sure you're capable enough to do it again. Just think positively! Always make sure that the last thought in your head is something like "I can do this, I've done it before". Good luck :)

rotation is just as important as height. but because i don't coach you and know your habits, and considering what you are going through at the moment, it would be irresponsible for me to offer a determination as to whether you should do it or not. you'll have to work this out both you and your coach. good luck.:)

I can't tell if you're high enough to pull it or not because I don't know how fast you tend to flip. I've seen people yoink them over from 'way too low' & I've seen people underrotate when they were up in the rafters. So, no opinion.

Not like right before meet season starts is the best time for this, but spending some time on basics and working your way back up through things and proving to yourself on the 'easy' things that you are not, in fact, going to die would help with the fear. Like, one day is back stuff day. Back tucks, back pikes, back straights, fulls, 3/4 backs with no cody, 3/4 backs and pull the cody, double fulls, double backs (adjust slightly for your perceived difficulty). And STOP and back off once you hit something that's really freaking you out. Going for it 30 times isn't going to help if you bail on the first 5, you know?

Yeah it was kind of a stupid question. I know you can't tell me if you aren't my coach. I have no self confidence anymore. Today was another frustrating pointless practice. I am having some issue where I don't want to double flip or twist because I am afraid of getting lost. The fulls and rudis feel like I have never done them before. I didn't even bother with doubles today.

I tried to do a cody for an hour. I have done them, nothing bad has ever happened during a cody. I did a million back 3/4's today and pullovers out of them but when it came time to flip the cody I just couldn't do it. I am so annoyed with myself and to make it worse so is my coach. Her advice to everything is "you need to push yourself" and "just pull it around" and it isn't that I am not pushing or that I don't want to pull it around but the fear is so overwhelming I just don't know what to do.

To make it worse every time I go I start hearing all the noise and seeing all the potential issues like little kids around the trampoline and kids on the other trampoline almost landing on mine and it makes me more nervous. Then my body stops working, I start sweating, my muscles tighten and shake and everything starts moving way too fast. In the end I know it is my brain over thinking every detail and I need to stop it but I don't know how to.

I do go back to basics, I have been for weeks and I am fine until I get to fulls then I can pull them but they are ugly, and rudis I can do them but they are low and they scare me. And doubles....But my back tucks are fine, my timers are fine, my baranis are fine. Sorry for the rant, just so annoyed In the 3 years I have been at this I am finding myself not so excited to go anymore. I mean I want to I am just so scared. Last question any ideas on how to shut my brain up?

Yeah it was kind of a stupid question. I know you can't tell me if you aren't my coach. I have no self confidence anymore. Today was another frustrating pointless practice. I am having some issue where I don't want to double flip or twist because I am afraid of getting lost. The fulls and rudis feel like I have never done them before. I didn't even bother with doubles today.

I tried to do a cody for an hour. I have done them, nothing bad has ever happened during a cody. I did a million back 3/4's today and pullovers out of them but when it came time to flip the cody I just couldn't do it. I am so annoyed with myself and to make it worse so is my coach. Her advice to everything is "you need to push yourself" and "just pull it around" and it isn't that I am not pushing or that I don't want to pull it around but the fear is so overwhelming I just don't know what to do.

To make it worse every time I go I start hearing all the noise and seeing all the potential issues like little kids around the trampoline and kids on the other trampoline almost landing on mine and it makes me more nervous. Then my body stops working, I start sweating, my muscles tighten and shake and everything starts moving way too fast. In the end I know it is my brain over thinking every detail and I need to stop it but I don't know how to.

I do go back to basics, I have been for weeks and I am fine until I get to fulls then I can pull them but they are ugly, and rudis I can do them but they are low and they scare me. And doubles....But my back tucks are fine, my timers are fine, my baranis are fine. Sorry for the rant, just so annoyed In the 3 years I have been at this I am finding myself not so excited to go anymore. I mean I want to I am just so scared. Last question any ideas on how to shut my brain up?

maybe take a couple of days off?

This reads like some pretty intense anxiety to me. Are you especially stressed outside of the gym? It's pretty easy for something 'fun' to become a focal point of a whole lot of ambient stress and anxiety. (not a doctor, yet, just speaking from my own personal experience). If yes, is there anyone you can talk to (friend, family, therapist, clergy, anything)?

Thought the same as Dunno, take a few days out, the way you describe yourself as feeling is not a good (or even safe) state to be training difficult skills you're not fully confident in.

Wishing you the best of luck, your skills will come back even if it doesn't feel that way at the moment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back