Parents How much time does your gymnast take off during the year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The world of optionals is new to us. Was just pondering this question to myself regarding time off from training, as we are in the process of planning our family vacation. Typically, my DD has taken a week off during Christmas, two weeks off at the end of the season, and then another two weeks off in the off season, for a total of five weeks off per year.

I know that the body and mind definietly benefits from a break. Just wondering what the consensus is here on what amount of time off is appropriate.

In past years, DDs have gone to IGC for a week or 2, so last year, we took 1 week for Spring Break, 2 weeks for camp, plus the 2 weeks during the summer when gym is off (total 5). Older DD has since retired, and Little Monkey decided she does not want to spend alot of time away. This year no spring break (if she makes Regionals, will still be 'in season'), and she had me withdraw her camp registration. So, she will only be off the 2 weeks when gym is closed, plus a couple of miscellaneous days due to school required functions.

DD trains 20+ hours a week, and typically takes two weeks a year, one week at a time usually through the summer months. The gym is closed for 3 days over Christmas and New Years (so another 6 days) - and that's about it!

We would never (cause she wouldn't let us, lol) take time off during competitive season (from Sept thru June) :).

My dd is an optional also training 20+ hrs a week. The gym closes for 1 week the last week of June and then another week the last week of August, so that's 2 weeks off there. I try to plan our family vacation using those weeks too, but if it doesn't work then she will take an additional week over the Summer. So, while her body may be off for 3 weeks, she only misses at most 1 week of gym a year.

Ideally, they get a few days off during Thanksgiving and the Winter break (reduced training typically for both occasions). Maybe a week here or there in the summer on a vacation and maybe a week off after their last meet. Not really necessary though so long as you go into off-season mode or if their body is battered.

My daughter is Level 7 and practices 18 hours. We take off two weeks at the beginning of the summer and a week at the end. Plus a few days around Christmas. The gym isn't ever closed (other than a few key holidays). We don't tend to go away school vacations however if something were to come up, I wouldn't hesitate to travel, as long as there wasn't a meet a few days after arriving home.

I think it's important to have the break in the summer as well as spending time as a family over holidays and school vacations.

I think their bodies need a rest and so do their minds. The gym will be there when they return and with a rested mind/body, they likely can give more energy to training again.

When we go away during the summer, my daughter keeps up with conditioning and generally has been fine getting back when she returns.

There is life outside of the gym and it's important, in my opinion, to not let that pass them by!

depends on the level of athlete. each athlete is different. and some kids come back with ease after a break and some kids don't. these decisions are more critical after puberty for most and should be determined with cooperation from the parent by competent coaches. i'm referring to level 10's and elites and maybe most upper level 9's headed to 10. and 'breaks' should never be taken within 10 weeks of a competition in this class of athletes.:)

My dd's take off when the gym is closed. The close several times during the year which usually equals about a week off for my girls each time (they aren't closed a week, but based on when their regular practices are it ends up that way for us). Some years we don't go on vacation and this is pretty much it. Some years we do, like last summer they missed almost 2 weeks when we drove cross country.

well...driving across the country with your family might be the exception. everyone should do that at least once. in the old days, gym families would drive to ft. lauderdale for the "beach meet". everyone drove. only the very rich could fly. so, you traveled with you family, saw the sights and then did gymnastics. it was great fun had by all. i miss those days...:)

for anyone on here from those days...remember the "elbow room"? or how about when the older guys parachuted off the top of the holiday in (now torn down) on las olas blvd and US#1 using tied together bed sheets and the plastic bed covers??:cool: "those were the days my friends, i thought they'd never end"...) :)

depends on the level of athlete. each athlete is different. and some kids come back with ease after a break and some kids don't. these decisions are more critical after puberty for most and should be determined with cooperation from the parent by competent coaches. i'm referring to level 10's and elites and maybe most upper level 9's headed to 10. and 'breaks' should never be taken within 10 weeks of a competition in this class of athletes.:)

Wondering why puberty affects how well kids come back after some time off? And 10 weeks is a LONG time! Why so long?

Not planning to travel cross country with the family anytime soon--I think the kids might kill each other! But Beth takes maybe two weeks off a year--one week during summer for either family vacation or Girl Scout camp (volunteers there as a teen helper). Otherwise this summer she'll be gone from practice two weeks, but is going to college camps, so she's still doing gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back