Parents How often...privates?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very rarely. Coaches will only offer it when they feel it is necessary. I have brought it up maybe twice when she was struggling with something mentally and she felt some one on one time would help. Once they said no and for one they agreed. Over the last five years we have had maybe four privates total.

Reactions: sce
In many years in compulsory my DD has had one half hour private for a beam skill that she had set a personal goal to master and wanted to have for states. She is now moving into optionals and will have privates as part of choreography and I can see needing a few extra as necessary to tweak her choreography to add or remove skills as the year goes on since it is individualized. Frankly I'm glad I saved the time and money until now but I also know families that have bigger aspirations than we do who have privates weekly. I think it's a very personal choice depending on goals and your personal philosophy and budget.

Before this year, to tweak the details before states or for her floor routines, not frequently though. My experience is the big skills come when they come. But the small stuff is more quickly addressed withe occasional private.

Starting this year since there is one practice she can't make during the school year we do a private to off set the practice she is missing. It's not ideal but it is what it is.

We are a low hour gym so privates are not unusual, It's a trade off, We have more time out of the gym but we need the extra at times, at least we get to choose the amount of extra and the when.

My DD has never had one. They are not regular occurrences at our gym and only used if a child has a specific skill to work on that would benefit from one on one time.

My dd has had one for vault in level 2. She had to scratch the first meet in vault and just wasn't getting it. I'm not sure how much it helped, but she did get it eventually. She is actually scheduled to have her second ever one on Monday, again for vault. She'll be competing level 4 and is not that consistent with her front handspring vault. I'm hoping it helps! I don't think 2 in 2 years is that bad. They aren't unheard of our gym, but I don't know anyone that has them regularly. It's more on an as needed basis. I really can't afford it too often anyway!

OG and YG each had a private once and then they had a semi-private. OG was for mental blocks. YG was to move skills from the tumble track to the floor. So, a total of 2 privates each in 9 years and 5 years.

YDD has had several this year for mental blocks. Honestly it helped the coach more than it did DD, as her coach realized to what extent her issues were and what coaching style worked better. ODD has had maybe 2 in her career when she was struggling with a specific skill

We have done 2 privates and 1 semi private in 3 years of competition. All for Vault. It definitely helped, her score went up .70 from the meet prior to the privates to the next.

We do have girls that get them weekly at our gym and they do very well. It's just not right for our DD.

When DD was newly training Level 3, she had 8 or 10 privates for skills. Looking back now, she really wasnt ready for L3, but she had great form and determination and so she wad moved up. I had privates for her to catch up. I have settled in now and DD doesn't do them any longer. Some of her teammates still have weekly privates even as they move up levels to increase their scores. It helps them some, but not worth the cost in time, money and joy.

My rec kid has privates on a regular schedule, and NO I'm not a CGM! At her level there aren't many rec classes offered so she's not in the gym many hours, and she has trouble focusing when there are a million other classes going on at the same time. Her coach really understands her issues and knows how to work with her, and that quiet time is what she needs to be able to really focus on corrections. That said, if she didn't have these unique issues, there would be zero privates going on.

At our gym, there definitely seem to be more privates for kids like my daughter (who love the sport and want to keep progressing but aren't "team material" for whatever reason) than for team kids.

Only for choreography, our team girls are not allowed privates for skills.

And your daughter's team does very well, don't they? They all qualified for regionals? My daughter did privates on a regular basis in compulsory in part because her training group was pretty big. Her optional group is small and of course they are training more hours. So no more privates unless she needs help on something specific.

Our head coach says that if a team girl needs privates then they (the coaches) aren't doing their job. That said, dd has done a few for specific skills, primarily before coming to this current gym.

And your daughter's team does very well, don't they? They all qualified for regionals? My daughter did privates on a regular basis in compulsory in part because her training group was pretty big. Her optional group is small and of course they are training more hours. So no more privates unless she needs help on something specific.

Yes. She was lv 7 last season, 5 girls total. They all made it to regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back