How to do a back handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymluv

I am a recreational gymnast,but I want to start competing at level 4. I know the feel of a back handspring because I've done it with a spot. Can you give me some tips. I will not attempt this on the ground first, I will do it on the trampoline. Also, I'm kind of scared of going backwards and I don't have anyone to spot me. Can you give my some drills that I can do to get over the fear of going backwards. Please help!

Why aren't you doing this with a coach? It is much more safe with a coach. If you are at the gym, you can use one of the barrel mat things to do a back handspring over. Try it on the trampoline first, then on the floor. Until you can do it on the trampoline with a light spot, you shouldn't attempt it on your own.

The responses you get will boil down to this- DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A COACH PRESENT! PERIOD!

And they'll be right.

Be SURE you do it with a coach........but just a tip that really helps me with back handsprings: Instead of just jumping back, knowing that your hands will land, it helps me to actually watch my hands, almost as if I'm watching myself do it. I developed a fear issue this year because I was so used to doing them and I thought I could just jump back into it and know that I'll make it(which I can, but I have a fear of it), so now it helps to actually look back for my hands to see where they land, and it really helped the form in my back handspring too! Good luck!

Do lots of jump-back and snap-down drills. You can also do round-off into jump-back. If you don't know these drills get a coach to show you how, then you can practice them. The jump-backs will help you get the feel of going backwards. To put it all together into the whole BHS, you should be spotted by a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back