WAG How to get them to really, really focus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
My Xcel team has their first meet in a few months. Luckily, I still have time with them. They are really unfocused. I have only seen three girls stick a beam routine. A lot of them don't even try to stay on! Bars are generally good, but the still fidget on there, swing their legs or scootch over to the side. Vault isn't too bad and floor is getting better but their dance still leaves much to be desired. Beam is the real issue. How do I get them to really work hard at practice? Is there some secret? Would you sell it to me?

One of Pea's coaches bribes them with grapes and clementines for sticking a routine or skill. Maybe make a contest out of it, stickers, rewards, etc. Reminding them 'why' it's important is good too. Pea tends to do better with a why explanation, although she will try her hardest for a grape too ;) There is always 'stick it 5 times' then you get to up-train motivation...

My Xcel team has their first meet in a few months. Luckily, I still have time with them. They are really unfocused. I have only seen three girls stick a beam routine. A lot of them don't even try to stay on! Bars are generally good, but the still fidget on there, swing their legs or scootch over to the side. Vault isn't too bad and floor is getting better but their dance still leaves much to be desired. Beam is the real issue. How do I get them to really work hard at practice? Is there some secret? Would you sell it to me?
Contests might be helpful.
Also, are they capable of sticking and just not trying, or is there some core strength missing? What corrections do you give? I know my dd is still learning about using her core to keep from wobbling so much. On beam and floor do you drill the skills and dance they seem to struggle with, separate from their routines?

I also wonder if they won't really get it until they go to a competition. When they get judged for doing those fiddles etc, and see other gymnasts and how they do their routines.

Our L4's and L5's work out together, but are almost always split up into the two level groups. Same coaches, just the two groups rotate apparatus to get more reps in and work on level appropriate training/uptraining.
The coaches regularly have the two groups compete against eachother as far as who can get the most assignments accomplished etc. it works! My kid will often come home and say "we beat the 4's again on bars, but they beat us on floor!". Obviously not on skills, but simply focusing and completing level appropriate assignments (for example 5x handstands on beam, 5x cartwheel on beam 5x good routine on beam, whatever they are working on... The girls always have assignments they need to complete before moving on to the "fun" uptraining)

Take them through a very simple warm up of walking, hops and leaps as small as they want, and any simple half turn they can concoct on their own (more likely to do these when they own them). Expect these to be done with impeccable posture, alignment, and presentation. During the first three practices ask them to call out any time they turn out of alignment, bend over, or fall. Leave the warm up routine simple and let them get to the point where they never fall, and seldom make a balance correction beyond a quick arm wave.

It builds confidence and makes them believe they can stay on the beam when they work at it.... no matter what (reasonable) skill they happen to be working.

Just don't start a "hardest worker" reward scheme. All the parents used to dislike the one that my daughter's group had. The coach awarded it to one of the same few girls week after week. The others could try really really hard, and not get noticed. Only the select few did. It became a huge disincentive for most of them, because they knew they would never get awarded it anyway.

Push-ups or v ups if they fall of beam. Bars, sometimes coach has a contest and gives a prize to the best routine. Coach also has them work on the side on the little bars and focus on tightness leg cut form, squat on form arms, hollowness etc....he watches them carefully. When they apply to bars, if they start to get sloppy, he tells them to stop the routine (wherever they are) , corrects, and go to the back of the line and start over.
If they are really goofing around and not paying attention, they get sent out for 5 minutes.....this is usually the very last resort, and the girls are absolutely mortified when this happens......things improve dramatically after!

A mock meet is helpful too. Once in a while, coach will have them come to practice with their competitive Leo's and run practice like a meet.

I am sure many don't like the use of conditioning for punishment, and being sent out and stuff, but sometimes things have to be harsh......I find that we are rewarding our kids for everything! A little pressure is a good thing. And trust me, there is a LOT of good playing and talking when time permits.....coach also will play and chit chat from time to time.

Last edited:
Not sure how old your team is, but my group does this. Right before a meet, our assignment on beam will be make 3 beam routines in a row. This challenges you to stay on the beam, especially when you are on your third routine. If you fall, you finish the routine you are on then start over from one. This probably wouldn't be the best for younger girls, but for us it works. Not saying we all like it, but it works.

Also, we do show turns, where everyone sits down and watches everyone else go.

Here's what you do if they are that unfocused. Extremely easy.

Make a chart. You can do it in your head but just a paper with a space beside each name works better. Every time someone does something good, they get a "point" (I.e. You make score marks in increments of five by their name). When you want them to focus, announce it's for a point.

Then say anyone who gets so many points on routine gets to (go to tramp, practice their cartwheels or kips, etc). Or announce who the hardest worker was at the end based on the points.

Now that you mention these, coach 2 does these things as well. She has a book and the girls are always marking in it. Both coaches will do the 'show' bit, where everyone sits down to watch. Works well too! Plus, a bit more positive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back