Coaches How to help the kids who don't want to put in the effort

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of my girls is really struggling. She competed old 4, then new 4 and is now hoping to go 6. She is extremely talented and gymnastics has always come easy to her, up until now. Last year she was out with two injuries and various sicknesses and multiple vacations. The time off , lack of strength and harder skills are beginning to catch up with her. She is way behind the rest of my group in both skills and strength and she's starting to notice. But it's not making her work any harder. Instead I notice her seeming sad and discouraged. We've tried extra conditioning to get the strength but she doesn't work hard enough at it to really be a benefit. My co-coach thinks we should threaten her with the reality of repeating level 4 if she doesn't get the skills, but I'm not sure I agree. Looking for opinions on the best way to handle this. I want her feeling good again and working hard. Some kind of chart? More praise? More drills? I'm really at a loss.
Thanks!

From what you are saying, repeating 4 is not really a threat but a reality. I would not hesitate to explain the reality of her situation to her. Sometimes kids are only motivated to work hard enough so that they can get into the next group. They forget that the hard work continues after they are in the next group. In her case, maybe she never even had to work until now, so she might not know what hard work really means. I would give her firm deadlines of what skills she needs by what date. I would explain how the conditioning is key to getting those skills and then let her make her own choice by either making the deadlines or not.

Oops sent hit too soon. It can't hurt to reiterate what she needs and that she isn't getting there yet. We have 4 weeks left of summer practice and they have to have all skills by the last day. She probably doesn't know what happens if she doesn't get those skills so I'll just let her know. Thanks.

Success creates success, the more she feels herself falling behind the more she is going to get disheartened and the worse the problem will be. You need to find ways for her to have constant small wins.

Set a list of the goal skills that you want her to achieve and then break them down into as many drills and small steps as you can think of. The aim is to master a new step or drill as frequently as possible so she feels like she is getting better every day.

From what you are saying, repeating 4 is not really a threat but a reality. I would not hesitate to explain the reality of her situation to her. Sometimes kids are only motivated to work hard enough so that they can get into the next group. They forget that the hard work continues after they are in the next group. In her case, maybe she never even had to work until now, so she might not know what hard work really means. I would give her firm deadlines of what skills she needs by what date. I would explain how the conditioning is key to getting those skills and then let her make her own choice by either making the deadlines or not.

This...... And tell her you'll help her with the same intensity she brings to the gym.

I am going to tell her what happens if she doesn't get there but I prefer going the positive route instead, if possible. I created a ladder of steps for her to climb to get to the big skills. We'll put a star on each rung or something. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back