How to keep rips from re-ripping during a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I know that rips are a normal part of gymnastics, but I have never had one this big before. I mean it's HUGE, and really deep too. It came at practice on Monday, and I have a meet in two days! It's starting to heal, but there's still part of the callus that it ripped from that could easily re-rip on the bars.

This is just a fun meet hosted at my gym for the fun-team, but I'm doing it to prepare for state in two weeks. My question is, what can I do to keep the rip from re-ripping? Is there something I can put on it, or should I just sit out for bars? I know it will rip further up my hand with the first swing, so what should I do?

Thanks!

Oh, and I just thought I'd mention that I also hurt my ankle in PE this week. We had to jump over small hurdles on one foot, and I landed really wierd. It's still pretty swollen too.

All things considered???...You might be better of spending the time healing the rip if it's going to get worse, and icing your ankle 3 x daily. If you look through posts from the past week or so, there is advice on how to heal rips, and a very well written (heh heh heh) piece on icing.......Not a cake!...your ankle!

Tape a balloon over the rip... it sounds weird, but the first layer of latex will rub and move with the bar, and the second layer won't move and will take the friction off your hand.

I think as a mom I would have you sit out and heal a bit so you are ready for states in two weeks. It's only a fun meet. If you rip it worse you might have to sit out the States instead or if you injure your ankle even more.

I would give it the 2 weeks to heal.

During practice you might want to use one of these if you can get use to it being there.
img11.jpg

Advanced Healing Blister
BAND-AID[SUP]®[/SUP] ADV HEALING BLISTER BLOCK

Its a little gel pad that sticks to your skin. its supposed to be for blisters but works for my DD on those deep rips. She puts them right over the rip then wraps the hand in tape as it won't stay on for a bar routine.

At night she puts "Bag Balm" on the rip area Its an antiseptic ointment that really doesn't smell so great but works really great on any rips or cuts like that.

You can also cover the area with Mole Skin also something used for protecting blisters it too stick on the skin and DD has used it along with tape over it. It works good too and is more flat than the other bandaid product.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back