How to run Big/Little Sister mentor at the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
I would like to run big sister little sister gymnasts at our club this year. The numbers seem to work this year.

I wanted to know if any of you have done this before and how it went for you?
How did you pick girls or did you match them up??
Whhat types of things did they do for each other??

Thanks for the help.

We are just starting this at my gym....
-we are going to have the older athletes pick names from a hat, since they all want the smallest/cutest L4's, I dont want any feelings getting hurt
-we are having a little "kick off party" in a couple weeks. We are going to pick the names-play some partner type games (chicken in a henhouse is perfect since you need a big & little person for that game)
-we'll have some snacks at the party...we are thinking of cheese & crackers, veggie & dip, etc- all foods that are partners to go along w the theme......
-we'll encouage them to attend each others sessions of meets, little gifts, etc.... also we'll prob do a party around the holidays as well.

I'd love to know what you decide to do as well...we're just figuring it out as we go along! LOL!

All the girls level 5 and up are big sisters. Lower levels are little sisters. This is regardless of age, but they have always managed to make sure each big sister is taller and at least the same age, if not older than the younger sister. All of the team girls have mailboxes, which are essentially just folders in a box. We give our little sisters letters, and they give us letters. It's a lot of fun! :) At christmas time, we also can give eachother presents, and on picture day, we get free pictures with them.

The last gym I attended had a big/little sister program. I didn't really become involved as I was there for such a short time, but in the beginning of the season after they made the pairings they gave each partner a paper to fill out. The paper asked questions like favorite color, favorite food, hobbies, fun facts, those kind of things just to help the two girls get acquainted a little better which I thought was a cute idea. That way when I get together for the first time they might have some questions to ask or some things in common ready to discuss.

my gym does this. and its optionals get paired with compulsories but choosing out of a hat. theres not much we do but we just like get them little gifts if we want, little treats, write them letters and stuff like that. and we help them through any sort of "problems" like fear ssues etc, since we have been through the same thing etc. and it really is just a ton of fun and my gym loves it!( we do other stuff thats just kinda the basicss)

Our program is a little different, but it is a "buddy" program, but we also have done "secret pal". The compulsories do each other, and the optionals do each other. The buddies are assigned by an adult, but I'm not sure how it is determined by the adult. Gifts are assigned as well, so that some gymnasts don't overdo it. A typical gift might be a homemade good luck card, and some fresh fruit.

MamaofEnS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back