I don't like fat gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natalia

Proud Parent
Yeah!I thought that would get your attention.LOL.

Unfortunately these are the exact words that were uttered by DD new coach.
Her preceding coach has gone to WOGA for a 6 months"internship" and some of his girls have been placed with this senior coach.He's not the owner or the head coach,but he achieves great results and seems to be the coach that all "competitive" parents want for their kids.

We were just informed that the group was being divided and some girls were going with coach A,others with B and so on.

This coach has decades of experience,his skinny gymnasts DO look graceful,but jeez...my kid is 7 years old she's 60th percentile for height and weight.She's not your ultra petite tiny little thing,she's not tall either but yes she is slightly above average for height and her weight according to her pediatrician is "perfect".

The coach said this in a general way to the new girls he" inherited",not specifically to my kid. It's true that the previous group my daughter belonged to had tall,short,slender ,stocky,graceful ,powerful type girls.

We're probably going back to France(we're in mexico) in a couple of months,so I've decided to stay low profile below the radar,keep my mouth shut...sort of attitude .But Cripes!!!

That's horrible. My daughter's friend developed an eating disorder at age 9. That was without being in a sport where looking thin might seem to be an advantage and without anyone telling her she was fat (because she wasn't). Those are very dangerous words to say to young girls and maybe you should bring that to the attention of the owner.

Wow. If you are definitely moving I would seriously reconsider not saying anything. You might just do some other girls a real favor by bringing it up to the owner. Something the parents staying might not be willing to do.

What an idiot. Those kinds of words are never productive and have so much potential to push an already sensitive child over the edge to a place they will need to spend their entire life fighting their way out of. If these kids are around your DDs age, and are active in competitive level gymnastics, they probably do not need to even be thinking about their weight at this time, and certainly do not need a coach who they respect and are anxious to please draw their attention to it.
There are RARE instances where excessive weight can become a safety problem, but those situations should be discussed with parents privately, allowing them to address the issue with their child and her doctor in a safe, productive, and loving way. However, coaches seem use that as a cop out because they don't like the way a girl with a sturdier build looks on their team, not because they are worried about her safety. Especially ones who are known to say garbage like this to athletes.
I was just at a HS state meet and some of the star gymnasts there were not teeny tiny stick thin girls, but still were absolutely incredible gymnasts. Or look at NCAA teams, many of them have several girls who don't fit the itty bitty under 100 pound mold who are amazing athletes. Gymnasts come in any variety of forms, and only coaching those that fit one particular body type is really not a productive way to coach for anyone involved, but especially the children.
I had coaches make negative comments about my weight for several years as a teenager and those comments still run through my head and undoubtedly contribute to the very negative self image I fight a continuing battle with. It doesn't matter how good this coach is, don't let your child work with him. Gymnastics is for right now, but how your child feels about and perceives herself with stay with her for life.

Gymnastics is for right now, but how your child feels about and perceives herself with stay with her for life.
This. I never paid attention to all the stigmas about women's bodies until having a daughter. The world is especially cruel to women in this regard. Last year, DD's report card came home with a message from the PE coach that she was too lean and we should talk to her about her weight! I almost blew a gasket. She's in great shape (as most gymnasts are) and there is no reason to give her any doubt or concern about her body or how anyone else perceives it.

I wouldn't put her in a situation where she spends any considerable amount of time with someone that has the potential to make a lasting impression about body shape, size, etc. There are millions of women that have deep seated issues around this, and it must be painful for them.

Others have given you some great advice and ITA with telling the owner when you leave. Girls have enough problems with body image as they grow without having authority figures adding to it. Reading what the coach said, I was just sickened for your daughter and her teammates.:mad:

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about our old coach (who coaches National Team members and is at a National Team Training Center) because that very line was always his mantra, "I don't like fat gymnasts" ..."you are fat" ..."you are lazy" ..."your injury is because you are fat"...you get the drift...His point of view is that his gymnasts should have the body of an 11 year old, always and forever...and if God forbid, they hit puberty, well, you're obviously eating too much if that happened....whacked thinking for sure. And I might add , he's no Slim Jim himself.

i'm speechless. by the way, isn't Texas a carry & conceal state? just curious...

Wow that's unbelievable that a coach would straight out say that. I went through eating problems last year and that was without anybody calling me fat. I can't imagine the pressure she feels from that coach to be skinny. Maybe talk to the owner if you can? Since you are moving soon I guess it doesn't matter as much. Keep an eye on your daughter's self confidence though and if it seems like its dropping then get her outta there!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about our old coach (who coaches National Team members and is at a National Team Training Center) because that very line was always his mantra, "I don't like fat gymnasts" ..."you are fat" ..."you are lazy" ..."your injury is because you are fat"...you get the drift...His point of view is that his gymnasts should have the body of an 11 year old, always and forever...and if God forbid, they hit puberty, well, you're obviously eating too much if that happened....whacked thinking for sure. And I might add , he's no Slim Jim himself.

When I was a gymnast, my coach said the same thing. "You can't do that skill because you need to lose weight", etc. We were weighed once a week, in front of everyone, and our weight was announced to all. No wonder I developed an eating disorder at age 13 :(

I have 2 daughters and now a little grand daughter. I have coached girls of all shapes and sized over the past 10 years. Every where from the 30lb 5year old to the 5'11" 185lb 14year old. I've noted over the years that girls will (what seems like randomly) change shapes several times throughout their lives. I've seen little round girls grow up to be absolutely beautiful young ladies. I've seen little skinny girls stop growing up and grow out a bit round after they stop being active. For a coach to say they don't like fat gymnasts they need to be fired, then beaten.

I have 2 daughters and now a little grand daughter. I have coached girls of all shapes and sized over the past 10 years. Every where from the 30lb 5year old to the 5'11" 185lb 14year old. I've noted over the years that girls will (what seems like randomly) change shapes several times throughout their lives. I've seen little round girls grow up to be absolutely beautiful young ladies. I've seen little skinny girls stop growing up and grow out a bit round after they stop being active. For a coach to say they don't like fat gymnasts they need to be fired, then beaten.

Well our old coach that says that owns the gym so no chance of firing him, but having him beaten would get his attention:eek:

I...I...

SERIOUSLY WHO SAYS THAT?!?!?

I like healthy gymnasts. Physically, mentally, emotionally healthy gymnasts. You know a great way to have gymnasts who are unhealthy in all these ways? Call them fat. Good gravy, as coaches it's our job to empower, society is already working against girls' body image, adding to the problem *is* a problem.

Seeing that you are in Mexico, they can probably get away with saying things like this. I don't think it would go down well in the states. Either they would be sueing you or beating that coach behind the dumpster depending where you were and the kind of parents. I don't think that would go down well in a lot of the bigger Euro countries but it might happen in some of the asian countries.

For a coach to say they don't like fat gymnasts they need to be fired, then beaten.

Isn't this what dads and big brothers are for?

Being from a California, talking about weight with the girls is generally considered a verboten issue.

As a coach, if anything, I say I want more strength and power and that has to be said careful so they don't get the idea that I mean "less fat". Train for that, eat right and eat plenty. If you don't eat as my gymnast, you're probably gonna get in disfavor if you are weak and tired because of it. Female collegiate gymnasts prove this point.

You even have to be careful about using the word, "shape" as in gymnastics position. I've gotten called in for that one.

Seeing that you are in Mexico, they can probably get away with saying things like this. I don't think it would go down well in the states. Either they would be sueing you or beating that coach behind the dumpster depending where you were and the kind of parents.

Run, don't walk, away from that gym! And other parents should know that their daughters are getting this abusive treatment.

One of our really skinny gymnasts at around age 10-11 once had a pediatric appointment at which the nurse practitioner got suspicious about the weight/muscle. She asked her, "So, honey, do you do any sports?" The girl replied that she was a team gymnast. The nurse then asked, "Does your coach ever talk to you about weight?" Girl gives her a puzzled look. Nurse asks, "Does your coach tell you about diet and eating?" Girl brightens up and says, "Oh, yeah, a lot!" Nurse, with a triumphant gleam in her eye, says, "And what does your coach tell you?" The girl answers, "He tells me I need to eat more cookies."

If you don't eat as my gymnast, you're probably gonna get in disfavor if you are weak and tired because of it. Female collegiate gymnasts prove this point.
I understand the first sentence, but lack the context to understand the second sentence.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back