WAG I have some Highschool coaching questions, can anyone help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lsl8303

Coach
I recently got asked to fill a Highschool coaching job on a part time basis. I'm learning this actually means fulltime with part time pay. Regardless I couldn't say no as they were going to just cancel the season. So here I am with a whole bunch of questions. I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have been a USAG JO coach (lvls4-9), for many years so Highschool is like a different language to me.

1) Can the girls compete watered down versions of USAG JO routines and is this frowned upon by WIAA judges?
2) What if a team member cannot perform a Superior or High Superior skill as required in the handbook?
3) Are the levels based on total possible points? If so can the team compete any level (say a routine that only added up to 4.0 rather than the 8.3 requierement which requires superior and high superior skills)? I guess I don't understand the levels or if there are levels at all?

I know I will have more questions to come but these are the major ones for now, I hope you can help! Thank you!

OK, you need to look at the judges manual
http://nfhs.org/activities-sports/gymnastics-girls/
The bottom one under general.

You will find that, if the girls have at least JO L5 skills, that they actually do have some superior skills. There is even a list of some Medium, Superior, High Superior, and Very high superior skills for beam and floor.

I would give the girls a sheet for each event with the requirements and space to write the skills they will use to fulfill them. ... Do that for the Special Requirements and the # of Mediums and Superiors they need (which will overlap with the SR).

OK, you need to look at the judges manual
http://nfhs.org/activities-sports/gymnastics-girls/
The bottom one under general.

You will find that, if the girls have at least JO L5 skills, that they actually do have some superior skills. There is even a list of some Medium, Superior, High Superior, and Very high superior skills for beam and floor.

I would give the girls a sheet for each event with the requirements and space to write the skills they will use to fulfill them. ... Do that for the Special Requirements and the # of Mediums and Superiors they need (which will overlap with the SR).

Thank you for the advice :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back