WAG injured... tips for getting through the weeks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

As many of you know, I hurt my ankle months ago on beam. Diagnosed as a sprain. I have had pain ever since so we went to the orthopedic today. Nothing on the xray, however my ankle is very loose. He could nearly dislocate it (not literally but if you can get what i'm saying, it came far out if he pulled and very instable). He put me in a tall aircast grey boot, as I didn't want crutches, for 3 weeks. At least. Mri next thursday.

Any tips on how to get through the next few weeks?

I apparently have a broken bone in my foot. It's been broken for almost a month, I go back in 3 weeks too, but the bone I broke dose not have blood vessel connect so it will take a while to heal, or it may never. You have to be positive. You can't have a bad attitude, injuries happen. You can't change the past you just have to move forward.

Talk to your coach, most will put together a seperate program for you to do in the gym, this ensures you maintain your strength, flexibility and skills and reduces the chance of you getting injured again when you return to gymnastics.

With the boot you can still do a lot of stretching and conditioning as well as handstand work and depending on your injury perhaps bars basics as well.

Talk to your coach, most will put together a seperate program for you to do in the gym, this ensures you maintain your strength, flexibility and skills and reduces the chance of you getting injured again when you return to gymnastics.

With the boot you can still do a lot of stretching and conditioning as well as handstand work and depending on your injury perhaps bars basics as well.
If you were my coach, what kind of bars would you let me do?

Thanks everyone. I emailed my coach asked if we could set up a plan, and am waiting for a response.

I'm not a gymnast (I do triathlons) but was in a boot for months recently with a ruptured Achilles. I did a ton of conditioning, handstands, and rode an exercise bike a lot. Even in my initial cast, I rode the bike with one pedal.

Can you swim? I mean you could pull without legs, but if your ankle doesn't hurt on kicking that could be good.

just keep dropping her off at the gym, and lots of bars!

Can you swim? I mean you could pull without legs, but if your ankle doesn't hurt on kicking that could be good.
I can swim when I come out of the boot. However, I should not be taking the boot off, even for swimming.

just keep dropping her off at the gym, and lots of bars!
Hehe, I have already gotten a very nice kip... cast to a few degrees from handstand with a spot, and a pretty decent free hip :)

Going back, so here are some tips to make your transition go smoothly.
You must have the okay to go back to training.
What said your coach about your coming back to practice?
Start out slow. Gradually build the number of hours. For example, start with once a week for two weeks then twice a week for two weeks then three times a week for two weeks, etc.
Take it easy. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself again.
Start off with small skills. Gradually work back to what you had before you were hurt.
If your injury hurts again, stop!
Discuss it with your coach. Probably she has experience and training and you can benefit from this knowledge a great deal.
Do not try to do everything you could before you were injured; your body will take time to remember.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back