is 4 almost 5 yrs old too young for bridges/kickover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My twin 4 year olds have recently started gymnastics...they seem to do bridges with ease and have started trying to do kickovers or back walk overs (not really sure what they are called, again I am NEW =) In a bridge and kick back over o do a handstand and fall forward into a bridge and kick back over....some people on this forum mentioned this was too young for their spines etc...have you heard this too? WHat age is it OK? How do I tell their coaches they shouldn't do this? THANKS for all help!

USAG recommends kids under age 5 do not do any bridge/ backbend/ kickover work. Same for headstands. You can search the forum, there are many threads on this. Some gyms do not follow this guideline, but a smart coach will. Rather than tell the coaches they aren't doing their jobs properly, maybe you could tell them you don't feel comfortable allowing your child to do those skills. How they respond will give you a good inclination of they type of gym you're at.

My twin 4 year olds have recently started gymnastics...they seem to do bridges with ease and have started trying to do kickovers or back walk overs (not really sure what they are called, again I am NEW =) In a bridge and kick back over o do a handstand and fall forward into a bridge and kick back over....some people on this forum mentioned this was too young for their spines etc...have you heard this too? WHat age is it OK? How do I tell their coaches they shouldn't do this? THANKS for all help!

stop them from doing them! they're too young. that's all.

There's a lie down / bridge up / kickover in the USAG level 3 routine, competed at age 5. So, at least someone at USAG thinks it's OK to do bridge kickovers for those training for level 3, children who are age 5 or are turning age 5 soon.

There's a lie down / bridge up / kickover in the USAG level 3 routine, competed at age 5. So, at least someone at USAG thinks it's OK to do bridge kickovers for those training for level 3, children who are age 5 or are turning age 5 soon.

Perhaps another reason why so many gyms/states choose to not compete level 3. But really, I'm thinking the JO program heads are relying on the gym coaches to make wise decisions based on age and appropriateness of skills. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Just because a just-turned 5 yr old can compete, it doesn't mean she should.

Personally, I think competition at this level serves no benefit for the young ones. Learning the routines is usually too confusing, being in the spotlight is often overwhelming and all the rehearsal time takes away true training time that should focus on conditioning, strength, and coordination/body awareness.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

USAG is not the final say on this. the Docs are. that's all.

This is news to me. My daughter started bridges before age 5. She's 5 1/2 now and doing back walkovers.
I have to say that I find it hard to base something solely on age. It's really hard to compare two 5 year olds. For example, there are 5 year olds who are very thin/fragile-looking and then there are 5 year olds who are solid with good muscles and strong bones.
I'd say to ask a trusted pediatrician, since they will know your kid better than anyone else. General statements made by general doctors tend to be based on . . . the general public. A personal doctor will know where your child is developmentally. Some kids bodies mature faster than others.

I'm not professional, so my recommendation is really just to ask a professional who knows your children *personally* as they will know their bpodies best. It may be possible that some 6 year olds have the build of 4 year olds and shouldn't be doing them, but that some 4 year olds might have the build of 6 year olds and be fine doing them.

Naturally everyone will have an opinion (doctors included) and everyone will think their opinion is THE right one. Ya know, otherwise they'd have a different opinion, wouldn't they?

As the mom of a child, who just had spinal fusion surgery for bi-lateral stress fractures with spinal slippage, I would always err on the side of caution. Too much, too soon leads to lots of pain and anguish. Smart coaching takes long term health into consideration.

I was a muscular Pre-k kid who was bridging before 5 and had back surgery at age 29. Better safe than sorry. There's not any advantage to doing it early, so why do it? They have plenty of time to learn back walkovers and handsprings. There's no rush.

This is news to me. My daughter started bridges before age 5. She's 5 1/2 now and doing back walkovers.
I have to say that I find it hard to base something solely on age. It's really hard to compare two 5 year olds. For example, there are 5 year olds who are very thin/fragile-looking and then there are 5 year olds who are solid with good muscles and strong bones.
I'd say to ask a trusted pediatrician, since they will know your kid better than anyone else. General statements made by general doctors tend to be based on . . . the general public. A personal doctor will know where your child is developmentally. Some kids bodies mature faster than others.

I'm not professional, so my recommendation is really just to ask a professional who knows your children *personally* as they will know their bpodies best. It may be possible that some 6 year olds have the build of 4 year olds and shouldn't be doing them, but that some 4 year olds might have the build of 6 year olds and be fine doing them.

Naturally everyone will have an opinion (doctors included) and everyone will think their opinion is THE right one. Ya know, otherwise they'd have a different opinion, wouldn't they?

But as there is absolutely no need to be doing bridges or back walkovers at age 4 or even 5 really why bother taking the risk. I just read today Sabrina Vega didn't even start gymnastics until aged 6. A smart coach and a smart gym will have plenty of other challenging and enjoyable things lined up for your kid to do.

What is there to be done in hindsight? I have a 7 year old who was definitely bridging when she was really young. Is there anything that can be done to manage the risk they have already put on their little body? One more thing to worry about at night.

nothing. takes a good knowledgeable coach going forward that keeps an eye on numbers.:)

wallflower, I would also keep in mind that every child is different. There are dangers associated with everything, and as parents we do our best to lessen those dangers. It's why we breastfeed, why we use safe carseat procedures, research vaccines, etc. But everything has risks involved. You can only do your best with what you know. I'm 1000% positive that this isn't about a magic number. You don't "magically turn 5 and it's safe". Every kid is different. Some 4 year olds are built like 5 years olds, some 6 year olds are built like 4 year olds. when the medical community makes a statement, it's based on averages, not on any one child as an individual. Find a pediatrician you trust who can judge what your child as an individual is and isn't ready for. That may mean a child who is 6 still needs to wait, or that a child who is 4 years 10 months is MORE than "good to go". A 5th birthday is a 5th birthday. Nothing magic happens overnight. Generalizations are general and guidelines are guidelines. I'm sure your daughter will be fine :) I know MANY gymnastics who did bridges at a young age with NO problem and many people who haven't done any gymnastics AT ALL and still have back problems. It's often hereditary, where back problems are concerned. Consider that there spanking is connected to back injuries, and while I don't chose to do that myself, many parents do and no one says "OMG, a smart parent would never spank because it could cause back problems." I think in general we're usually a more reasonable than that. Children are individuals, and we need to treat them as such :)

...I'm so glad I decided not to let my dd in a gym at all until she was 6...just sayin', lol. None of this was an issue for me. Whew! :D

nothing. takes a good knowledgeable coach going forward that keeps an eye on numbers.:)

So should I look for a new gym since these coaches seem to be ok with bridging at 4 almost 5 yrs old? What age it is OK to do bridging/back walk over type things? I personally have horrendous back problems from years and years of sports (which ironically included very little gymnastics so don't think that could be to blame)...ended up varsity lettering in 6 different sports and played very high level volleyball (nationals, all american etc...) and then after already having 2 herniated discs from all of that was in a car accident, now have 3 herniated and 5 protruding discs...all that to say I am VERy concerned with anything that could potentially harm their backs. My girls are very lean but seem to be pretty ripped for 4 almost 5 yr olds...their arms are cut (you can see them when they do some skills) and literally almost have 6 pack abs which just seems a lil odd, but they do. That may be why they seem so strong (one is already able to do a chin up). They do one-armed cartwheels just on their own and one does one-armed round offs too, again not taught at gym...we just finished our first 10 sessions.
I really like a couple of the instructors at their gym but don't want to potentially hurt my girls' backs. Thanks so much for any additional insight! I appreciate all of your input so much, so glad I found this forum so early!

Taylee there is no harm talking to your coaching and explaining you have had back difficulties and don't want them to start bridges for another 6 months or so.

It is also how they do a bridge that is important - How long do they hold it, are legs bent or straight, apart or together, arms bent or straight, arms and legs close together so shoulders are right over hands or further apart so a more gentle curve. Are lots of warming up exercises done first, How many bridges are done each session, how many sessions a week. Are the bridges done on the floor or with the feet raised up on a block. There are so many variables. A smart coach will be doing not too many, not too often, not held long, not on the floor at 5. Is your club thinking carefully about how hard this skill is on little spines or do they just push them up and hold for 30 seconds 10 times each session.

I personally think they should only be doing raised bridges with their feet up on a block or panel mat until they are at least 6. It takes a long time for the shoulders to become flexible and strong enough to safely bridge on the floor. Preventing stress on the lower vertibrae is down to the child having flexible enough shoulders and strong enough arms and legs to hold the correct position AND the child understanding the correct position and having the focus to use it.

Emmas mommy seems very defensive about this issue but I would urge you to listen to Dunno, he really is the expert here. Also if you search this forum for threads about back pain, back fractures, back walkover pain, back bend pain it is very very common and very very scary. It seems to really kick in around level 5 where there is a focus on the back walkover on beam ready for level 6. However the damage is done by the time it shows up.

And before anyone points out there is a bridge kickover in level 3 and you CAN compete that at 5. Yes I know. But personally I wouldn't start competing before age 7 anyway. I would rather see children start competing at age 7 and go straight in at level 3, 4 or 5 whatever is more suitable for them. Much better to perfect basics for 2 years before you compete.

USAG is not the final say on this. the Docs are. that's all.
Perhaps the doctors on the message board should weigh in on this then? I have been unable to find any information showing that working on bridges for minutes a week is harmful for 5 year olds. I have read that competitive gymnasts, swimmers, and dancers who train excessive hours as young children can have problems, but that does not mean that some bridges are bad. I've also read that people can die from drinking too much water, but here I am sending my kid to gym with a water bottle.

In Australia as a coach you are not covered by insurance if you teach bridges/bridging activities without having the first coaching accreditation and attending a specific workshop on bridging.

As parents the best that we can do is gain the knowledge to make the best decisions about our children. If the data is out there that states the potential harm by doing skills at a young age, then it is us parents that live with the results that come if we choose to let our children do these skills before the recommended age.

I'm never concerned about other children doing the skills, just my child - call me selfish. My child has been in this sport for about 12 years now, she has been competing, since level 4, for 8 years now. A few years back, her HC wanted her to do a one-handed BHS on beam. My dd responded to the HC that "my mom said that I wasn't allowed to work 1-handed BHSs." After practice that day, the HC came up to me and told me this. I was so happy that dd told her no! I told HC that she was too young, she was 11 at the time and her growth plates were wide open and that the continuous pounding on the one arm was not a good thing. I also told her that dd could do the BT instead, which she was already doing at this point. HC said well "so & so" does them and has been doing them and she's fine. I told HC that I am not "so & so's" mom and I don't care that she has been doing them. I'm not going to take the chance with my dd. End of story and even now at the age of 15, almost 16, she has never done a 1-handed BHS on beam. I wouldn't mind her training them now that her growth plates are closed.

I also just want to add exactly 1 yr ago, to this very day, my dd had surgery on her elbow (OCD) to have bone chips removed. This was a gradual, they are assuming, overuse injury. Up to this point in my dd's floor routine she has always done a valdez (really no impact skill, but it did require twisting on the one arm, the one she had surgery on) and since her surgery it has been taken out of her routine. Not that she can't do it, but why, why should she continue to place undue stress on the one arm. Coaches were very cautious and don't want to aggravate the elbow. They are protecting my child, trying to keep her uninjured and in the sport for as long as she wants to be in it!

As PPs have said, it depends on the child. Yeah, I'm sure it does, but I question the coaches!!! Coaches are trained as well and the guidelines that are out there are clearly being ignored. Will your child get hurt from doing the bridges, I don't know, I'd like to think not, but where is the regard for your child's health and safety! If the coach is not concerned about your young child's back when they are doing bridges at the age of 4, I question if they will be thinking of your child's open growth plates when they want them to start working even harder skills - like Yurchenkos on vault, 1-handed BHS on beam, to name of few as a pre-teen going through puberty. I feel you have a right to ask question coaches actions when the safety of your child is at hand. A bridge at the age of 4 is not going to have any impact on her gymnastics, just like a 1-handed BHS has not had any impact on my child's ability to do a level 10 beam routine! It's your choice, it's your child. I do not have to live with the repercussion of the actions that you do with your child, but I can tell you that I have done everything to ensure the safest environment for mine! So far based on how long she has been in the sport and is still thriving, I think I've done a pretty good job! :D

As the mom of a 5 1/2 year old who thought it was safe to for her to work on bridges now that she is over 5, I have been digging around in the forums for more info. Post #19 in this thread has some more details:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/preschool-recreational-gymnastics/10025-bridges-2.html

My daughter does her bridges with her weight pushed back towards her hands, which sounds like it puts the stretch in the shoulders where it belongs instead of in the back, but her legs are bent and apart instead of straight and together. I am still struggling to figure out exactly what is safe when. My guess is that the bridge work she is doing on the floor is borderline at her age and would be really bad if she were a year younger, but the kickovers they do off a mat are pretty safe. Coaches, is this a good interpretation?

My daughter is about to move from a mixed-age (5 - 12) rec class into a developmental program for 4- and 5-year-olds. I am planning to watch very carefully for the first few weeks. Aside from bridges and dive rolls, what other red flags should moms of little ones be watching for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back