WAG Is it a bad idea to have white on a competition leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
The older team girls at my gym are helping to design/pick out the new competition leos for next year. We have white in our team colors and I think certain leo designs would look great with it. I am reluctant to use it though because every time I do the little warning pops up: "Your color selection involves mixing a dark color with a light color. The colors may transfer with perspiration and incorrect laundering." Have any of you had experience with white on a darker colored competition leo?

My daughter had white in her leo a few years ago. The darker colors definitely bled into the white, and I was very careful when washing. I would avoid if possible. Makes washing the leo way less stressful!

They are required to warn you... because, if you wash your leotard in hot, the darker color may run into the white - making it look gray or pink or light blue... you get the drift.

A few years ago, a girl's younger sister threw up on the sleeve of her (the older sister) team leotard. To get the smell and everything out, mom washed the BRAND NEW black, columbia blue and white leotard in hot water. The white turned gray and the columbia blue got a little darker... and the black faded some. Mom bought a new leo... old one was turned into a tank leo.

As long as the washing instructions are followed, it should be fine.

The leo my daughter is wearing in the picture to the left is half black/half white. You can only see the black half but the entire left side of the leo is white. She wore it all last season and it has held up really well. I only washed it at the end of the season (she wears an under-leo for comfort) and it held up fine. All of her teammates washed their's more than once and no one had any bleeding.

All of my dds' competition Leos so far have had white. Their first one was mostly black with teal and white accents. I always washed in cold, inside out and laid flat to dry. Their last one was mostly white with pink, green and black accents. I handled it the same. We never had any issues. I have heard that others had issues if the washed in hot or warm.

Lol as you see my gymmies Leo has white in it and yes the Pink tends to bleed sometimes. But over all I wash it in the machine, gentle cycle cold water and it's fine. They do look sharp in it :)

DD leo had white sleeves last year with black and hot pink accents. I didn't have any trouble with the colors bleeding but I was VERY, VERY careful when washing and drying it. Only use cold water and and dry it so that white doesn't lie against the any of the colors. I would actually tumble dry it on my lowest gentlest cycle so that it wasn't dripping when I took it out to dry the rest of the way. It held up fine for the last two years. Our next doesn't have as much white in it.

Also don't use any detergent that has a fabric softener in it as this will break the seal on the foil/mystique fabric and cause the colour to run. This is the only thing that has caused the colour to run on any of the team's leotards.

I haven't had any problems with this so far, but have only hand washed them in cold salt water. Also think about how much white you will have and where it will be. A lot of girls don't like to have a lot of white fabric in the chest area, or at the bottom.

My DD had a led that was half white for 2 years and I loved it! It really stood out and was easy to take care of. I washed it in the machine in only cold water and only used Woolite Sensitive as recommended by our coach. I also hung it to dry. I never had a problem, and now wash all of her Leo's with Woolite and they hold up really well. Geez, I sound like a commercial!

My oldest dds last competition suit had one white sleeve, the red from the rest if the body made the under arm if her sleeve pink, that with washing it how the instructions say. Said it ran from sweat and meets, it's not that bright though. But thankfully we're getting new suits this year.

DDs comp Leo has one white shoulder and sleeve. So far so good.... However I have been extremely cautious in washing it and only actually washed the whole Leo once. I've spot washed areas of it in cold after every use of course, but not the whole Leo. Before last year they had half black/half white leos and some of them looked a little sad after two years of use so I wanted to be exceptionally careful with the washing...

DDs comp Leo has one white shoulder and sleeve. So far so good.... However I have been extremely cautious in washing it and only actually washed the whole Leo once. I've spot washed areas of it in cold after every use of course, but not the whole Leo. Before Last year they had half black/half white leos and some of them looked a little sad after two years of use so I wanted to be exceptionally careful with the washing...

I have found bright pink to be the worst colour for bleeding into others, but generally if you wash them carefully and then spin them in the washing machine (just throw them in wet, inside a pillowcase or lingerie bag if you're worried and set it to spin only) straight away then the colours don't really have a chance to bleed. I was told that they tend to run into each other when they are hung to dry and are super wet,so it's better to spin most of the water out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back