Is it too late to start gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have loved gymnastics for many years. But for many reasons I was unable to participate until now. The problem is that I am 14 with no actual gymnastics experience. Is it too late for me to start? Would it be possible for me to participate on my high school's team? Thanks for your help.

Anything is possible. Ask the HS coach and see what you need to make the team you will need. Without any formal training you would have to go for classes I'm sure before you could make a HS team. HS teams do expect their gymnasts to know how to do gymnastic skills before they tryout so see what you need and then get the training you need. I would say it's probably going to take a year or two to get those skills so you would probably not be ready until your JR year.

It will be a lot of work, but it's definitely doable! I'm 16 and just got back into gymnastics after 6 years off. I'm already starting to get a lot of my skills back. I'm one of the oldest in my class, but that has it's perks. I'm stronger than the younger kids, so certain things have been easier for me. Granted I am a equestrian as well, so horse riding keeps me in excellent shape. And I've been able to pick up on new things faster than some of the younger girls. It is definitely hard work though. But as long as you're willing to put a lot of effort and patience into it, you should be fine. It most likely will take you until your JR year to be ready to compete at the level high school teams compete at, but you'll get there. :)

It is never too late to start at all! As for the high school team, get the info on it first. Many high school teams for gymnastics are walk-on, it all depends on your school. Some schools take it very competitively while others let beginners join with no problem. My school has tryouts and they do make cuts, but my friends school team is walk-on and they took people with little to no experience. So for sure you should find out the information because it all depends on what your school requires. You are certainly not too old to try gymnastics. Last week I had two 15 year old girls join my class as complete beginners! Good luck!

hey, no your not too old, i started when i was 13 (im 14 now) and i am at around the same level as 3 of my team mates who have been doing it for 4-6 yrs :) goodluck :)

It is definitely not too late for you to start gymnastics. I took up gymnastics at 43, after a 30 year break and only a few years rec experience as a kid. (Sorry, I have no idea about the high school team). If you really love it, then go for it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back