Is moving from Prep Opt to JO possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Hi,

We have a dilemma on our hands. To keep a long story short, DD competed Prep Opt Novice her first year this year. She consistently scored well, winning her age group (9, but she just turned 10), and sometimes even having some of the best scores for all age groups.

In addition to that, she has swam competitively the last two years - both sports are year-round. She has made a ton of improvement this year in swimming and is very close to qualifying for states in a couple of events (season ends at the beginning of August). We have been able to manage being at practice for both sports, but obviously can only attend the minimum number of days the coaches are looking for.

We feel that we are at a cross-roads - she probably needs to focus on one sport so she can practice at the level that will allow her to meet her full potential. It is a hard decision for a number of reasons, but DD has always been clear that she "likes" swimming, but she "loves" gymnastics.

So, I am trying to accept that it does not matter how well she finishes the swimming season because we are going to give it up for gymnastics. Here is my question: if an athlete wants to focus on gymnastics as "her thing" should she aim to be in the JO program? Prep Opt has obviously been good for her - she has learned excellent form, RO-BHS, tight, lengthy handstand on beam. But I feel like if we are going to make the commitment to gymnastics she should do JO. What do you guys think?

The next challenge will be to talk to the coaches at the gym and ask if she can move into JO. They do have a policy that allows that, as I have seen at least one other girl do it (she was a Prep Opt Intermediate). However, I think she basically mastered the requirements of a level 4 and so I would like her to go into level 5. If they want her in level 4, does it matter if she has those skills already? I think the level 5 skills is what she needs to work on next and I would really hate for a year of level 4 to be time wasted.

Thoughts?? Thanks!!

In My opinion, JO is the right place for her if she is really interested in concentrating on gym. Prep Op is more designed for those who cannot make a fulltime commitment to the sport. As for the level, I think you should have her evaluated at perhaps several gyms and get the coach's opinion of where she should start.

Yes, it is definitely possible especially since she is just beginning. Level 4 is not a "required" competitive level. Many gyms don't even compete Level 4, so Level 5 would be a good starting point. My daughter is facing this same dilemma right now... she has to decide by the end of this month to either stick with Prep Op (Advanced) or change to Level 7.

Since she "loves" gymnastics and is young, JO is probably her best bet!! Good luck and keep us informed!

Depending on where you are - Prep Opt seems to be replacing the JO program for the compulsory levels. (See my thread No More lvl 4/5 on the Question forum) Here in NC many gyms are going this route - choosing to do Prep Opt instead of compulsorys and then doing mobility meets to score out.

My daughter just got invited to team. She has lvl 4 skills - but will never compete or train lvl 4. Instead she will train level 5 skills and compete prep opt. When she is ready - she will do a mobility meet at level 5 to score to level 6. She will then train level 6 skills and compete prep opt and then do one level 6 mobility meet to score out of level 6. She will then rejoin JO at level 7.

(Ok - lots of "Ifs" in the path - but you get my drift! lol)

As you see from my other thread - I am very torn on this idea - but the coaches at the gym really believe in the idea and have me at least looking more positive on it.

Well, I suppose I should clarify that our gym runs both programs and they have different coaches and are quite separate. Where we live, there doesn't seem to be that replace levels 4-6 with Prep Opt loophole (which I really think is unfair to the gymnasts). We just don't see that happening here. And, our gym's approach is that you stay at a level for a full year before moving up (unless very, very unique circumstances, which we never see :)).

Also, our level 4s do compete a pretty full schedule for the year. I am just concerned that my DD really already has those skills, so I am not sure I see the benefit of competing level 4 next year if/when she switches programs. She will also be a bit older than those girls as I suspect most of them are 8 and under.

So, how do other programs work - do you have to have the skills of a level before being put into it? Or do you master the skills of that level and then get moved up to the next one?

Thanks so much!

So, how do other programs work - do you have to have the skills of a level before being put into it? Or do you master the skills of that level and then get moved up to the next one?

Thanks so much!

It really depends on the gym as for what they expect in terms of competition readiness but in general just mastering the previous level's skills isn't "enough" (this only shows readiness to compete at the level where the skills were mastered). Most gyms are going to look for readiness at the next level's skills. In my state, we don't have a fall compulsory season, so at this time in the year most gyms wouldn't be looking for potential level 5s to be able to do full level 5 routines. But some states start their compulsory season in August, and finish it around Dec, so in those states they'd probably be looking for kids to be farther along at this point.

The only way to find out is to ask for an evaluation of which level program your daughter is ready for.

Hi,

We have a dilemma on our hands. To keep a long story short, DD competed Prep Opt Novice her first year this year. She consistently scored well, winning her age group (9, but she just turned 10), and sometimes even having some of the best scores for all age groups.

In addition to that, she has swam competitively the last two years - both sports are year-round. She has made a ton of improvement this year in swimming and is very close to qualifying for states in a couple of events (season ends at the beginning of August). We have been able to manage being at practice for both sports, but obviously can only attend the minimum number of days the coaches are looking for.

We feel that we are at a cross-roads - she probably needs to focus on one sport so she can practice at the level that will allow her to meet her full potential. It is a hard decision for a number of reasons, but DD has always been clear that she "likes" swimming, but she "loves" gymnastics.

So, I am trying to accept that it does not matter how well she finishes the swimming season because we are going to give it up for gymnastics. Here is my question: if an athlete wants to focus on gymnastics as "her thing" should she aim to be in the JO program? Prep Opt has obviously been good for her - she has learned excellent form, RO-BHS, tight, lengthy handstand on beam. But I feel like if we are going to make the commitment to gymnastics she should do JO. What do you guys think?

The next challenge will be to talk to the coaches at the gym and ask if she can move into JO. They do have a policy that allows that, as I have seen at least one other girl do it (she was a Prep Opt Intermediate). However, I think she basically mastered the requirements of a level 4 and so I would like her to go into level 5. If they want her in level 4, does it matter if she has those skills already? I think the level 5 skills is what she needs to work on next and I would really hate for a year of level 4 to be time wasted.

Thoughts?? Thanks!!

I would go with what your DD wants. If she wants to do both and can do both staying prep op why not just keep things the way they are? If she really wants to give up swimming to go JO then I would first talk to her coach to get their input on her ability. and if it is something they would recommend before you get hyped up for that option.

In our gym it is possible to go from prep op to JO but they have to have the skills to do so and from what I've seen their skills are the same level as JO so the likelyhood isn't great.

Our gym requires that they have the skills before they move up. But all gyms may not do this. Our gym also competes JO in the fall and then Prep Op in spring for a fun break from compulsories..

One thing to consider is prep-opt is not the same state to state, so your program could be totally different than what others are posting about. Also its not even competed in our state---they do offer a rec league which is a little like prep-opt, but rarely see girls in that program cross over to JO(at least not the older ones)

I think Cher had a good point. Don't pull the plug on swimming(ok thought that was kinda cute) until you and dd have had a chance to talk with her coaches and get their opinion on her moving to the JO program. You may find she can still do both or the JO program isn't what you really want anyway.

Also sit down with dd and ask her if she would still want the JO track even if they require her to compete L4 next year. Hard to tell from your posts what skills she has and can do well----then again there is the gym requirement. Saying kids have a skill can mean many things. My gymmie has a double back off bars, but is not ready to compete it as her dismount at the end of her bar routine. Still needs to work on more stamina and doing it without a spot. So, you could say she has a double back, but not competition ready---big difference.

Lots of luck figuring out what will work best for your dd.

Gym Law Mom,

Yours is a very well thought-out reply. You covered many sides of the question and I agree with everything you said.

Thank you

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

We have discussed these different options with DD and the idea of giving up swimming to concentrate on gymnastics is really hers. I then suggested if she really wanted to focus on gymnastics and spend more time at the gym, maybe we should consider JO instead of Prep Opt. But you are right, I need to talk to her coaches and see what they think of her skills.

If they say she is not ready, or if they want to put her in a level she is not comfortable with, she may decide to leave things the way they are and stay in Prep Opt and maybe even do both sports. I wanted to wait until we had our last gymnastics meet to bring this up to her coaches. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Good luck in the talk with her coaches! I hope she gets the answer she'll be happy with :)

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

We have discussed these different options with DD and the idea of giving up swimming to concentrate on gymnastics is really hers. I then suggested if she really wanted to focus on gymnastics and spend more time at the gym, maybe we should consider JO instead of Prep Opt. But you are right, I need to talk to her coaches and see what they think of her skills.

If they say she is not ready, or if they want to put her in a level she is not comfortable with, she may decide to leave things the way they are and stay in Prep Opt and maybe even do both sports. I wanted to wait until we had our last gymnastics meet to bring this up to her coaches. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Don't forget to let us know what the final outcome is. Good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back