WAG Is this a worry? thoughts please.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
So my daughter has just been moved from a pre development trial group to the actual development squad with a jump in hours from 1 per week to 4.5

Today was their first longer lengthed practise. Coach came out at the end and said they all did really well and then told the children that he wanted them all back in for the longer session next time and told them how well they'd done.
I then asked about my daughter specifically and he commented that my daughter was a bit all over the place and not overly coordinanated. My daughter then asked if she was still getting to come back and he (coach) said of course you are. You did really well.

Is this lack of coordination something to worry about for a 6 year old just starting out? She is very flexible and has some natural strength. More than that, she works so hard and loves gym. Really loves it!

Just worried for her as if they change their minds and say no, she'll be crushed! Having said that, she has been training with head coach for 5 months in pre development and he snd the elite coach are the ones who made the decision to up her hours and put her in to the actual development squad and have said she has natural form and looks naturally graceful in the walks they practice on the floor. He is still her coach too which is great as she loves him!

What do you guys think? Does this lack of coordination sound like a big issue or not?

Coordination is the same thing as body awareness. Some kids mature faster than others in that dept. So to answer your question, no it's not a big deal, not at all. She'll get there, Mom! Or, she may have just had a LONG day and her coordination tapered as the day went along. Either way, her stamina and her awareness will improve with time!

Coordination definitely comes with age, and some kids just naturally have more than others. This has always been a struggle for DD. She works extra extra hard to pay attention to detail or else she has some pretty spectacular falls. No one is ever surprised when DD flies off an apparatus or lands awkwardly - it's actually more of a running joke.

That being said, she is usually one of the tightest and tries to do everything with nice form. Her strength is actually beam because she's hyper focused on it. Ironic, right?

I highly doubt the coaches will change their minds. The development squad is to help build good form and body awareness. Whereas some girls may have great handstands, your DD could be a great tumbler. ;)

Thank you :) I just hate the thought of her having something she seems to really love taken from her. Funnily enough, despite the coordination she is one of the stronger hand stand kids and looks great on beam.... As far as a wobbly beginner can ;)

Thank you :) I just hate the thought of her having something she seems to really love taken from her. Funnily enough, despite the coordination she is one of the stronger hand stand kids and looks great on beam.... As far as a wobbly beginner can ;)

LOL, so jealous! DD just turned 8 and is JUST NOW getting her handstands holds. Within a month, she went from 3-5 second holds to 25-30 second holds. Something just 'clicked'

I wouldn't say my gymnast was the most coordinated of the group at 6. She's still going strong and competed level 8 as an 11-year old last spring. Plus, she's a lot more coordinated now than then. :)

I think maybe she was doing a lot of new moves and things and that was what he meant. If she wasn't going to make the cut for the group the coaches would have probably told you from the sounds of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back