WAG Is your daughter training for the Olympics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I posted something on Facebook about dd's first meet of the season last weekend. One mom I know asked this question. I started writing and I think my response came out pretty nice so I wanted to share.

I wanted to hear what other people say when they get asked the same thing?

"Thanks for the compliment! She is training for the love of gymnastics. It's her passion, its just her thing. Every 4 years, only 5 girls get to go to the Olympics, out of so many who are training. Is it her starry-eyed dream? Probably a little. But right now it's about her drive to push her body to do things most people can't. About her love of the physical challenges. Of quite literally being able to fly through the air. If she ever achieves the skill level required to become an international elite, that would certainly be amazing. Right now she is developing lifetime habits and skills, maturity, confidence, work ethic, physical and mental health, and so much more than just a set of flips and tumbles. Yes, the little girl in her dreams of going to the Olympics. But the young lady she is becoming knows that it is dependant on so many other factors. She does gymnastics because she loves gymnastics. Wherever it takes her, I am just along for the ride."

I don't get that much anymore b/c everyone has heard it several times before but I used to say : no, she would need to be in the gym way more hours and we would need a lot more money than we have to even seek that dream. College is her goal. But she would need to stay healthy and motivated for ___ more years. Who knows what the future holds.

My aunt once asked my mom how far we're looking for DD to go. (she asked with love)

Our answer: To stay good enough, to stay happy enough, to stay in gymnastics to keep her off the streets.
And truly, in a nutshell, that's it.
The discipline and lifelong lessons are truly a bonus.
The feeling she gets when she accomplishes something is the icing on the cake!

Lol - I guess I'm more blunt than others (or my kid has just been doing it longer), cause when asked that question I usually say something along the lines of "No - she's nowhere near good enough for that - girls who go to the Olympics are doing skills way harder than she is for how long she's been doing it". I sometimes will jokingly elude to how they all move to Texas too, and that how we are still here and not in Texas means no Olympics for her - haha! ;).

DD usually just laughs and is flattered by the fact that people see her videos/skills/routines and would think to ask such a question. It really is a compliment that someone can think "this kid has Olympic potential" when looking at compulsory and/or early optional skills.

I like that gymnastics keeps her off the streets (in the suburban MS/HS social scene sense), teaches discipline, physical fitness and commitment/perseverance towards goals that don't always come easy and can't be shortcutted (if that makes sense). The last one is probably my favorite :).

Beautifully said! I very surprisingly get asked whether I am training for the Olympics fairly often. Usually my response is something like, "No. I started gymnastics when I was 12. I am an 18 year old level 7. Most level 7's who have hopes of even making elite are 10 or younger. I have absolutely no hope of even thinking about elite, much less the Olympics. I do gymnastics because I love it. It is my passion, has kept me out of trouble throughout high school, and has taught me valuable lessons that I cannot learn anywhere else. I am a stronger person because of it, both physically and mentally."
I've got to be honest though. I saw the title of this thread and clicked immediately assuming there would be some major CGM action lol. I thought it would be somebody saying, "My five year old Susie can do back layouts and a tsukahara and she's going to gym 30 hours per week so she can get to the Olympics." I was very relieved to see Canadian gym mom's eloquent post.

Beautifully said! I very surprisingly get asked whether I am training for the Olympics fairly often. Usually my response is something like, "No. I started gymnastics when I was 12. I am an 18 year old level 7. Most level 7's who have hopes of even making elite are 10 or younger. I have absolutely no hope of even thinking about elite, much less the Olympics. I do gymnastics because I love it. It is my passion, has kept me out of trouble throughout high school, and has taught me valuable lessons that I cannot learn anywhere else. I am a stronger person because of it, both physically and mentally."
I've got to be honest though. I saw the title of this thread and clicked immediately assuming there would be some major CGM action lol. I thought it would be somebody saying, "My five year old Susie can do back layouts and a tsukahara and she's going to gym 30 hours per week so she can get to the Olympics." I was very relieved to see Canadian gym mom's eloquent post.

I love your response! And yes, I used that as a title because i knew it would get people to click!

Lol - I guess I'm more blunt than others (or my kid has just been doing it longer), cause when asked that question I usually say something along the lines of "No - she's nowhere near good enough for that - girls who go to the Olympics are doing skills way harder than she is for how long she's been doing it". I sometimes will jokingly elude to how they all move to Texas too, and that how we are still here and not in Texas means no Olympics for her - haha! ;).

DD usually just laughs and is flattered by the fact that people see her videos/skills/routines and would think to ask such a question. It really is a compliment that someone can think "this kid has Olympic potential" when looking at compulsory and/or early optional skills.

I like that gymnastics keeps her off the streets (in the suburban MS/HS social scene sense), teaches discipline, physical fitness and commitment/perseverance towards goals that don't always come easy and can't be shortcutted (if that makes sense). The last one is probably my favorite :).

Well, usually my responses are not in writing. It's usually people asking and i would never go into details like that. It's usually, "who knows what the future will bring?"

I would have thought the same, except I know the poster is sane.:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back