Coaches Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started coaching right after I turned 16, and I started judging the same year. Coaching and doing gymnastics definitely makes me a better judge because I don't really get rusty during the summer, and I don't have trouble seeing bent arms, bent legs, leg separation, etc. all at the same time. Also, the combination of coaching, judging, and doing gymnastics makes me very useful at clinics-- I can critique as a judge, break down skills and work on drills as a coach, and demonstrate. :)

ETA: The certifications shouldn't really prevent you from judging, *especially* if you are in a state that is low on judges. The USAG membership, safety cert, background check, and NAWGJ membership is probably around $200 altogether, and I can easily make that in one weekend. If your state is really organized, you can even get all of your clinic hours (during the summer after your first year of judging; you don't need clinic hours to start judging) for free.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the info! I appreciate it. Is the uniform shown on the site required (jacket, pants)? I'm in Ohio by the way, Region 5.

I hope they have some additional testing/clinics aside from what is on the schedule because the one for my state was this weekend. Talk about bad timing! The ones for neighboring states are going to come too quick (next weekend I think?) and I wouldn't have the funds in time to get everything accomplished. Plus my van is in the shop and waiting on parts (wheel bearings- very expensive too I might add) and won't be fixed until the end of this week at the earliest. If not, I can spend the year getting in some coaching hours I hope and ready myself for testing next summer. Is this usually the only time it's offered? Late summer/early fall?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back