... just a vent...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
Sometimes I really do hate gymnastics. My DD, for those of you who remember, has really struggled with the sport as she has gotten older. Has always loved it, but has gone through her "quitting" phases, went back to it, and on and on.

So... she is now competing Level 7 and has been really working hard. Qualified to states her first meet (whoo hoo), has been progressing nicely. She's ALSO been competing on her high school team, so she's been really, really busy. Not to mention schoolwork on top of all of this!

Well... she has a meet coming up this weekend. The ONE meet she has really been looking forward to all season long. And what happens??? It seems she has some kind of hip injury...at first we thought it was just a pulled groin muscle.... now I'm not so sure. She's seeing a Dr. tomorrow. It started off as a nagging, sharp pain last week. She rested for a few days, went to practice and midway it started hurting again. She rested it again adn went back to practice last night. Wasn't even there an hour before she had an ice pack strapped to her hip joint again. Ugh . . . Someone mentioned maybe it was a hip flexor injury. We'll find out soon enough. In the meantime she's very disappointed about the weekend meet, and you know what? So am I!!! Bars doesn't seem to bother her, so maybe she'll just do that and scratch the other events. At any rate, we'll go to cheer on her teammates.

I feel your frustration! This sport is tough on our gymmies bodies! ((HUGS)) to you both!

Gymnastics can be really frustrating at times, and by that, I mean most of the time. Especially when it comes to untimely injuries. I remember hearing a speaker at a camp talk about hip flexor injuries and how common they can be in gymnastics. Here's to hoping the injury is nothing serious and one that she can safely rehab and work back from in time for states and the big high school meets. And, if bars is an option, I think one event at a big meet she has been looking forward to would be better than nothing. She would get to be on the floor with the team and get most of the meet experience at least.
Hope things work out for the best! Sending lots of good wishes your way as you and dd head off to see the dr.

I'm sorry!!!! I sometimes feel like my DD has THE WORST LUCK in the world with injuries, rips, etc (she just got a huge rip tonight....just a couple days before she competes this weekend). I agree, sometimes I really hate gymnastics too.

I hope your daughter's injury is not serious and she can be back at it very soon pain-free. Does she have other meets coming up?

Thanks everyone. MaryA posted about "perspecitve" and it's so true. This really does pale with respect to some of the tragedies people are facing!!! So I will carry those thoughts with me for now.

Anyway, I'm running her to the Dr. this a.m. for a qucik check. I just don't want to let it go (like I did when she injured her ankle a few years ago and battled with that for 5 months!!!). She has already qualified for states, so it's really just getting this thing healed and getting her full function back. She has a meet in February in PA that she's really looking forward to. It's still a month away, so we'll see. I'm hoping since we're jumping on this injury right away this time, maybe a month will be plenty of time to get it healed! Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and comments!

This is one of those things that will stress me out eventually, especially as DD does more difficult things and gets more likely to be injured. Also, sickness is always a factor. You see, when we go to a meet it's a big deal because it's always overseas. Non-refundable airline tickets have been bought - what if she can no longer compete? What if she gets sick and can't travel? What if I get sick - can she go without me? She has been to 2 meets so far, and I have just kept my fingers crossed that nothing happened to prevent us going! For Trinidad it's not a big deal (short, frequent flights, easy to apply flight credit), but when we went to South Carolina it was huge - 2 flights to get there and 2 flights back - tough to do if you're under the weather at all (as one of DD's teammates was). I decided to use airmiles so that if anything happened I could re-deposit them to our miles account. I know this aspect of gymnastics is only going to get more stressful. But OTOH - I like the travel aspect, so I guess I can't have it both ways!

Last edited:
TQM, just sending you positive thoughts. I think getting it checked out by the doctor is a good idea. I hope it is something that heals up quickly and she is able to compete later in the season. It is too bad that it had to happen right before this next meet, but if she can go and compete bars and cheer on her teammates, that will hopefully take the sting out of it. Good luck!

We went to the Dr. this a.m., and it IS her hip flexor as opposed to her psoa (?) muscle or anything else. She needs some PT to fully work it out, which is fine. The Dr. did say we caught it really early so she doesn't think it's going to be along term recovery or anything like that... thank goodness!!!! She will go and compete on bars and cheer on her teammates and we'll all go out to eat afterwards... the most fun part, right???

We went to the Dr. this a.m., and it IS her hip flexor as opposed to her psoa (?) muscle or anything else. She needs some PT to fully work it out, which is fine. The Dr. did say we caught it really early so she doesn't think it's going to be along term recovery or anything like that... thank goodness!!!! She will go and compete on bars and cheer on her teammates and we'll all go out to eat afterwards... the most fun part, right???

Heck yes, that is the most fun part! My dd has a conniption if we don't go out to eat with everyone after the meet.

TQM, glad it is a fixable thing and it shouldn't take long.

As to the rant, I feel like a rant is good. Here is mine; my 14 year old cannot do anything due to her spondylolysis with lysthesis, we have no idea when she will see an orthopedic surgeon (could be many more months) she goes to physio every week and it's costing me a fortune. Now youngest has Osgoode Schlatters and so she is now at the physio every week, did I mention the physio loves me, and I just had to spend $140 on chopats for her. She has a meet next weekend, that she probably won't get to do, and she only has three meets a year to enjoy. Sometimes I hate gym, sometimes I love gym. THis week my bank account totally hates gym. Rant over, moving along now.

I totally feel your pain. My DD had two hip flexor injuries, one on each side, just in November/December. Now she has a fractured foot, and can't compete at the meet this weekend, or the next, or the next.

I hope your daughter heals fast. One positive note, as soon as she fractured her foot, the hip flexor pain went away.

haha! Rants are good, and cleansing. Here's mine: We don't have a booster club that pays for my dd's meets, we pay everything out of pocket or by personal fundraising. So, we pay the meet entry fee (this week $95?), we travel ($80 gas, $45 motel, at least $20 food), we park ($10), and we have to pay to get in to see the meet too? ($12) I really think at least one parent should get in free after all that. Issue a pass or something, cause this is only the first meet and I'm already broke. I'm a little nervous about having enough money to buy gas to get home tomorrow, since no paycheck till Tuesday. And my dd wonders why we never buy pajama pants or new leos or t-shirts at the meets!

i hear you GAgymmom. it has become a bad joke money wise. when i started the gym over 30 years ago meet entries were $5 and team kids worked out about 20 hours a week (same as today) and paid approx $45 a month. another factoid, a liability policy then was approx $450 a year. now over $3,000. basic grips cost $4 and dowels $12. i get a headache just typing this...

whoa! Bogs, those chopats are $30 down here. if you need something like that give a shout and we can ship them to you. wow!

whoa! Bogs, those chopats are $30 down here. if you need something like that give a shout and we can ship them to you. wow!

I saw I could buy two chopatas dual straps for $40 online, but things take forever to get here with the border controls. SO I got them for $70 each in the big city. I was floored, but desperate! Good news is her knee is feeling a bit better, but she cannot do all four this weekend for the meet.

I saw I could buy two chopatas dual straps for $40 online, but things take forever to get here with the border controls. SO I got them for $70 each in the big city. I was floored, but desperate! Good news is her knee is feeling a bit better, but she cannot do all four this weekend for the meet.
Sorry to hear about Baby Bog! I had Osgood Schlatter's as a gymnast and it still acts up from time to time many years later, I still even have the darn ugly lump! Have you watched Larry Nassar's video on youtube? It talks about some ways to tape and strengthen the area, information I wish I would have had 10 years ago! The good news is it's not too serious, but it sure is a nuisance, isn't it? Best wishes to her!
Here is a link to that video:
YouTube - Osgood Schlatters Disease knee pain.wmv

Thanks Coach molly, I hadn't seen the video, though I had read an article by him. SHe is doing physio and has excercises to follw. Though of course she would rather just be able to vault and tumble! LOL

Oh, that is a pain! One of our level 10's pulled a hip flexor or something like that - she had a nasty fall on a back layout step-out on beam. Just in time for the first meet of the year! Luckily, she had plenty of time to recover after the meet - I believe she just scratched beam at the meet, though her dance on floor was a little iffy. Good luck!

So sorry to hear about your DD. I hope she mends quickly and easily. Best of luck, keep us posted on how she does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back