Keeping balance on the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lmorenosoler

Hi Everyone!

I have been doing some research about what is needed to keep balance on the Beam. According to what I saw, there are several factors to take into consideration:

- A correct body alignment:
  • Front alignment where tip of the nose, chin, shoulders/chest, pelvic bones and balls of the feet are totally aligned
  • Back alignment where back of the neck, upper back, tail bone , backs of knees and heals are also aligned

- Good contact of the feet with the beam.
According to literature, there are three points of the feet ( two balls in front and the back) that should have very good contact with the beam.

- Good body tension: Mainly abdominal and gluteal muscles should be well contracted. A "soft" gymnast can't maintain correctly her body posture and it is more probable that she loses balance.

- Body position:
  • Feet turned out with the weight of the body well distributed on them
  • back of the knee stretched. Knee caps should be pointing in the same direction as the feet
  • Hips square, Lower back flat
  • Abdominals are pulled back and up (belly button in)
  • Chest lifted up
  • Arms relaxed but in a controlled manner
  • Shoulders pressed down and stretched wide to the side
  • Head lifted up, neck long, eyes focused on the end of the beam
  • The head should be at all times on top of the beam

- Fear control: Fear (or nervousness) is many times a factor that makes gymnasts forget about their body position. Their heart starts pounding faster and there is a series of body reactions that take over the gymnast's conscious body control. In many cases, it helps to visualize the routine.

I don't know if experienced gymnasts are aware of these things but it all started by thinking on how hard it is for beginners to overcome the fear of being that high and keeping balanced. I based this conclusions in observations , reading papers, doing interviews... I am not a gymnast myself, so I want to know your opinion about this.

What do you think? From the list above, what do you think is more important? Is there something you disagree with? Why?

Thanx!

What do you think? From the list above, what do you think is more important? Is there something you disagree with? Why?

Probably mostly body alignment and core strength. But it depends on what we're talking about. If it's just walking across the beam, that's different than a backwards acro series. In the latter, flexibility definitely comes into play, as do muscle twitch/quickness factors in getting enough amplitude to complete the skills with enough "sight" time. In these cases holding back amplitude due to fear can be an issue too. But there are definitely physical properties.

When you are on the beam, be aware that your centre of gravity is higher, so it makes it very easy to fall off. To be balanced, you have to keep your posture as close as possible to the line of gravity (imaginary line that runs down the centre of your body) and to the centre of the base of support (this is the feet and the beam) This means that you need to keep your body vertically over the beam, no leaning to the left of the right and keeping your body centred over the feet. As the beam isn't very wide, there is only a small base of support
When you execute skills, make sure you land properly. Do this by bending your knees and lowering your centre of gravity By lowering your centre of gravity you become more stable(thats why its hard to stand on your toes) When you feel you are going to fall off, use counter balances. This will help counterbalance the weight moving in one direction. Also lower your centre of gravity and you should become stable in no time. :cool:

Gotta love biomechanics :D and thats only the basics :p

I've also found that where you look and how you use your head can help or hinder balance on the beam. I think it helps to keep focussed on one spot. I was taught by a coach to look at the end of the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back