Coaches Kip Drills (Stem Rises?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
We worked on kip drills last night and I had them do some stem rises on our preschool bars. I had them show me a table top position, then bent their knees and shoot up to a front support on the high bar.

My question is, was I wrong to have them start in the table top position? Should I have them actually pike (bottom down) to simulate more the feeling of coming up from a kip with toes to the bar?

Any other good kip drills?

S; I am unsure of the drill you are using from your description. Apologies offered.

Kip drills: A poster on the forum, JAO videos, has some excellent Kip Training vids. They capture many of the most frequently used kip drills. The poster presents them well. I have referenced these vids to coaches on our staff and they have replied they have gotten lots of ideas to use.

Best, SBG -

The table top is fine, but it's not all you will need to teach a kip that way. Also try the one-legged short kip to the high bar from years past when the bars were close (I use boys parallel bars with one side raised up and alternate legs). Then they can do an old fashioned short kip this way. You could try to simulate this with a preschool bar if you have a floor bar that is weighed down so it doesn't slide when they push off of it. You will still have to do lots of the above mentioned kip drills, but the one you mention is good for teaching kids to "fight" to get into the lean forward position over the bar.

Generally I start off spotting these with straddle legs, one leg in each hand. I can spot them via pike but it's less wear and tear on my body spotting them straddled. (Don't have to worry about switching sides or one arm or one hip getting abused).

We'll either set up the PB uneven for the old stem rise or do it with a block and a low bar. Maybe a bar with a kip machine (cargo strap).

I've tried working the single leg kips where one leg shoots through but it's tricky.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back