Coaches Kips kips kips!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, I need everyone's secrets for kips! Switching to the JO system this year, has left everyone behind on bars, and half my group can't kip... They have less than a month to learn this (some can do them in straps), otherwise they're going to JO3, which I think we'll be even harder because they've never done anything similar to FHS, stride circles etc, so please, give me some kip tips! Including any home conditioning that you may recommend (some have home bars).

Oh and PS, any tips for a kid scared of shoot out to swing half turn? She's a big chicken and won't even try swing half turn over the pit!

Thank you!

I'm not sure what you mean by "shoot out," but I assume you're referring to the level 4 dismount.

To start, I have the gymnast hang stationary on the bar, and I hold them (supporting most of their weight) as they do a half turn, swinging one arm across and then flipping the other hand.

Once they are comfortable with that, I have them "monkey walk" across the bar, making sure to flip they second hand so that all of their fingers are facing forward. Note-this isn't the same as the baby "monkeys" across the bar, where the little ones shuffle their hands along. Rather, it is a series of half turns that travels down the bar (they will alternate which hand goes first, practicing twisting in both directions).

You can start this on a low bar with bent knees and you spotting, and then move to over a pit. Once they have practiced this for awhile, they should have enough grip strength and knowledge about how the skill works to be comfortable doing it from a swing.

I don't like to start the kip process until they have a have a technically correct front hip circle. A front hip circle is an important a drill for a kip. They will use the same process to sit up for a kip as they do a front hip circle. I would most definitely focus on that circle along side the kip even if they don't compete level 3. Have you ever seen this video? Has some really great drills for each part of the kip process. There is a part 2 and 3 video to go along with this one as well. I refer to them often.

Good luck! Hope they come!

You may want to do JO level 3...in my opinion with your timeline it would be easier to attempt the level 3 bar routine than the level 4. however, maybe not if you've never taught the skills. Actually it may just be best to push on with level 4 and keep training, and just not compete bars until they're ready. They may have to repeat JO4 the next season. That's okay - just keep working on it.

Overall I would say less than a month is not enough time for the stage of learning where you describe most of them being (some can do it in straps). Can they do the rest of the routine if you spot the kips? Underswing to tap swings?

They have the rest of the routine, minus the kips. Unfortunately, going level 3, while a possibility, won't be easy. Levels 1-3 is governed by rec and technically not considered competitive, so there won't be many opportunities for them to complete unless they are JO 4 (they will be able to attend 1-2 'rec meets' in the season- you can imagine how the parents will react ;))

ETA: At this point, I have 3 successful on the real bar (2 going JO 5), 2 consistent in straps, 2 sometimes in straps and 1 not even close

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back