WAG Korbut Flick instead of BH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach says korbut flicks are easier than normal BHS on beam, but they are also a B.
The reason why we rarely see them is that coaches don't like teaching them because they might mess up your BH technique because they tend to be undercut a bit and also, the BH is a very important skill to get.

I totally understand that!

But just out of interest: which one is really easier? I can do a BH, but never tried a korbut flick. However, if you take a gymnast who can do a BH step out on floor but has never done it on beam, what would be easier?

I actually DO think that the korbut must be easier to learn first (neglecting if it is wise or not). Although you have to put your hands down precisely, you are allowed to undercut the first flying phase which is easier and you do not need to pop off your hands and do the snap down! Also, you do not need to place both your feet on the beam. I mean, you still need to be square, but I guess it must be easier.

What do you think?

Here is a video if someone doesn't know that skill. It is sloppy but I guess you still get it!

PS: I think they look amazing!

I didn't know that was the skill's official name. At my DD's gym, they call it a BHS splashdown.

My DD works it on and off in conjunction with a back extension roll as her flight series. She doesn't seem to think it's harder or easier than a regular BHS but then she has been landing a regular BHS for about a year now and puts her focus on the extension afterward.

We had an upper optional who competed the BHS splash back extension as her flight series and she said it was always well received at competitions and people always complimented her on throwing an unusual combination rather than the typical BWO BHS or BHS BHS. She said it scored well too. Funny that we were just talking about this very skill earlier this month.

Thanks for your help! I am really interested in such things as I really want to coach in the future... so I am happy about everything I learn!

I didn't know that was the skill's official name. At my DD's gym, they call it a BHS splashdown.

My DD works it on and off in conjunction with a back extension roll as her flight series. She doesn't seem to think it's harder or easier than a regular BHS but then she has been landing a regular BHS for about a year now and puts her focus on the extension afterward.

We had an upper optional who competed the BHS splash back extension as her flight series and she said it was always well received at competitions and people always complimented her on throwing an unusual combination rather than the typical BWO BHS or BHS BHS. She said it scored well too. Funny that we were just talking about this very skill earlier this month.

Korbut to BER is a really cool series idea. I guess you have to make sure you keep your momentum going from the Korbut ....otherwise how could you pop up into the handstand?

I'm not sure I'd call one easier. I have never and probably will never do a BH on beam but I would guessfor me the scary part would be jumping backwards onto my hands, not the landing, in which case Korbut or BH would present the same problem.

But it is great that you want to be a coach and are already trying to learn new things (I'm assuming you're young since you're still doing BH on beam:)). I also think it's great when coaches look into ways that they can adapt to certain issues a gymnast might have instead of insisting on a certain skill no matter what (of course it is give and take and you have to have some standards as well). Anyway good luck to you!

Lol, back in August / September, I was trying to talk some of our Jr. High and Xcel Gold & Platinum gymnasts into trying it!
Where we are, Jr. High uses Xcel Platinum rules, but only out of 9.7 (with high school bonus for the last 0.3 SV). Those girls who had nice BHS on floor and were working BWO and flight on beam, I thought this would be cool.

Lol, back in August / September, I was trying to talk some of our Jr. High and Xcel Gold & Platinum gymnasts into trying it!
Where we are, Jr. High uses Xcel Platinum rules, but only out of 9.7 (with high school bonus for the last 0.3 SV). Those girls who had nice BHS on floor and were working BWO and flight on beam, I thought this would be cool.

Cool! Did they manage to do it? Do they have their BHS on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back