WAG KT tape

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymmieC

Proud Parent
I am not asking for medical advice...DD has seen a pt and has an ortho appt. in less than a week. I just want to know if the KT tape that is sold in retail stores is really as good as they market it. Has anyone used or had a DD/DS who has used it and found relief? Thank you!

My ds used it quite a bit when in PT, but when the PT used hers and put it on, it lasted about 3 days. When we tried at home, it lasted about 30 minutes. He tried for a bit but we could never get it to work as well as the PT did.

I used KT tape on DD when she pulled her quad last season. The pro version (bought at a sport store) worked fine, I followed the instructions on the KT website and it stayed on for several days. The very ends came off after a couple of days but not too bad. DD said it felt better to work out with the KT tape on (she had sectionals that week and was under care of a physio) and we used it for about 2wks total. Her physio said the pro version was MUCH better than the regular version, well worth the price difference.

I love love love KT tape. There are multiple kinds available in stores. Mine typically lasts 3 days/practices unless it gets wet multiple times. I'm sure it could last longer but those darn rolled up ends annoy me so much...

Another fan here, P&F uses it quite a bit if she hyper-extends , again it can last a week or so, but the ends will roll. Make sure you round the corners, apply to clean, dry skin (no lotions) and press/rub the ends down very well to activate the adhesive.

Absolutely love KT tape. It has been my saviour with both my ongoing back problems and the ankle injury I had last year. I always have a roll or two in my training bag just incase something doesn't feel quite right. But I get what you mean about the rolling ends, drives me mad. But I find it can last 6/7 days 4/5 of which I will be training/competing if I trim the ends when they start to roll, even with daily showers ;)

I was going to say, like others, that you need to use it exactly the way the pt shows you for it to be effective. My dd used it with Severs and Sinding Larsson Johanssen and she said it helped a bit but for her issues regular taping was better. We also had the falling off issues.

There are tutorials on the website to show the way to correctly tape. I myself am not sure if it was somewhat of a placebo effect for my dd.

KT tape is very, very helpful in giving my daughter arch support while barefoot in the gym. She has to spray her ankles and bottom of her feet with alcohol and then dry first, so it will stick. (sweaty feet are tricky that way) She uses 2 strips per foot and ankle, per practice. (she takes it off after practice)

We use the "original" version of the KT tape- it's less stretchy, and gives better support. Just the bit of stretchiness seems to work for my daughter in her particular case.

She has very flat (pronated) feet, and wears ankle braces to minimize this pronation while barefoot, and wears the KT tape underneath the braces. The KT tape virtually prevents her plantar fascitis from flaring up. (as we have tested this several times)

(-:

Dd has used KT tape for several purposes with great success. We keep a couple of rolls on hand at all times.

I agree with only using the professional series and having someone show you which treatment to use for your dds specific needs. The videos on the website are great for reference after you know exactly what protocol to use.

Me biggest advice for having it stick longer is use the good stuff and wipe (or spray? Didn't know they had that. I bet that works great) with alcohol and let dry completely before putting on the tape.

Another piece of wisdom, if you go to all this trouble to get it to stay on, be very careful taking it off. It will bring that top layer of skin right with it. For removal, have her soak in the tub and the use acetate to dissolve the glue if it is still pulling.

Thank you all! She said it is very helpful. She still has pain but the tape really helps to keep it at a minimum. I started using it on knee and yes it provides great support.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back