L 9 Bonus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was watching some of the level 9s at our meet today and noticed many of them doing 1/2 pirouette-giant-shootover (bail). Is this bonus? I thought it had to be C+C to get bonus. Why would they do the extra giant?

I am not a judge but my guess is because the new code of points wants all cast to go to Handstand. Maybe these girls are doing Shoot overs for the 1st year and they are easier to do from a slow giant than they are from a Cast to Handstand???

It's not bonus because it's C+B+C.

I train both pirouette bails and pirouette giant bails because I don't have the best control coming out of pirouettes. If I finish my pirouette out of handstand, I giant out of it because it's really hard to control a bail that comes out of a near full speed swing. I can kind of do it, but I usually have bent elbows and/or slam my feet. If a pirouette finishes in/near handstand, you can break through your shoulders and control the swing like you can out of a giant.

Somewhat related tangent: if a gymnast needs to get a C for her bail, then it's much more reliable to do it from a giant than a cast handstand. It's not really easier or harder to do it either way, but if you're short on the cast handstand, you're down to a B. In BarCoach's case, it wouldn't matter because both a pirouette and giant come from a handstand, but I probably wouldn't recommend casting into a bail if you absolutely need it for the C.

I was watching some of the level 9s at our meet today and noticed many of them doing 1/2 pirouette-giant-shootover (bail). Is this bonus? I thought it had to be C+C to get bonus. Why would they do the extra giant?

kip>cast hand>piro>bail= .10 bonus

turn to flight and as long as the bail catch is above horizontal.

"Somewhat related tangent: if a gymnast needs to get a C for her bail, then it's much more reliable to do it from a giant than a cast handstand. It's not really easier or harder to do it either way, but if you're short on the cast handstand, you're down to a B. In BarCoach's case, it wouldn't matter because both a pirouette and giant come from a handstand, but I probably wouldn't recommend casting into a bail if you absolutely need it for the C. "

not exactly. a giant swing bail is worth nothing unless you get to a handstand on the low bar. if you hit a handstand you get .1 for the D.

giant full to bail above horizontal is .20 >turn to flight>1 for the D and 1 for the turn to flight. to handstand is .3. 1 for the D>.1for the turn to flight>&.1for the handstand to low bar. these are considered combination bonus.

"Somewhat related tangent: if a gymnast needs to get a C for her bail, then it's much more reliable to do it from a giant than a cast handstand. It's not really easier or harder to do it either way, but if you're short on the cast handstand, you're down to a B. In BarCoach's case, it wouldn't matter because both a pirouette and giant come from a handstand, but I probably wouldn't recommend casting into a bail if you absolutely need it for the C. "

not exactly. a giant swing bail is worth nothing unless you get to a handstand on the low bar. if you hit a handstand you get .1 for the D.

giant full to bail above horizontal is .20 >turn to flight>1 for the D and 1 for the turn to flight. to handstand is .3. 1 for the D>.1for the turn to flight>&.1for the handstand to low bar. these are considered combination bonus.

I thought there was no difficulty bonus at L9? I thought they only gave connection bonus at 9, and difficulty at 10?

that's right. wrong word. sometimes i type faster than the brain moves...

This was a tangent that was unrelated to bonus. I am well aware of L9 bonus (in fact, pirouette + bail is .2 in L9 because both elements are Cs with turn or flight). I was commenting on why a coach might choose to have a gymnast do a bail from a giant or pirouette rather than from a cast. If a gymnast does a cast bail and needs the bail to count as a C to fulfill a special requirement (or for the C), then if she's short on the cast handstand, she loses the C for the bail. It's not an issue if you do it from a pirouette or a giant.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back