L9 bars bonus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
Ok, need to know what my gymmie can do to get some bonus for her L9 bar routine. Please don't say ask the coach because this bar coach is clueless as to the COP. Just 1 example would be she told gymmie she had been deducted .5 all year for not casting to a hs on high bar before doing her bail---as a L8!! Both gymmie and I knew this was WRONG.

So, at this point, gymmie has a bail which she can do to hs, step in toe shoot and is working on doing a free hip into that, giants with double back dismount. Coach is insisting that she add a pirouette(somewhere) to get to a 10SV.

Can anyone clarify what would get her bonus or does she have some already?

This just gets so frustrating when you can trust/believe the coach!

Free hip to toe shoot will be bonus (.1 I think, C+C only one is a turn or release). She only needs the pirouette for SRs if she doesn't do the second release...they changed that awhile ago. You used to need the turn but then they changed it to another turn OR release. So doing the shootover and toe shoot will cover those requirements as they are B and C releases. However to get a higher SV from bonus she could do pirouette into the shootover so it's possible that's what the coach means. Giant double back won't be bonus.

The "easiest" way to get to a 10 SV with the skills you listed would be:
pirouette to bail (+.2)
either directly connected to toe hecht (+.2) or kip cast hand, clear hip hand, toe hecht (+.1).

Remember in L9 not only are you trying to get all of your bonus to have a 10 SV, but you are also trying to avoid composition deductions. The big ones that I see as a potential problem with the skills you have listed are:
Failure to perform both forward and backward circles & releases: 0.05 flat deduction.
Balance between pirouettes & flights: Up to .1

Neither are huge deductions, but can add up with execution.

Composition deductions aren't reflected in the SV, but no pirouette in a L9 routine makes bonus hard to get and will result in at least a .1 composition deduction.

Just to clarify-- the bail is a D if it goes to OR comes from handstand. Is that correct? So she couldn't have done it from handstand in level 8. Right?

Anyway, if she does bail to handstand, directly into the toe shoot, isn't it .2 connection bonus right there?

I've always wondered if you can kind of double dip when counting skills for connection. i.e., could she do pirouette, bail for bonus and then connect bail, toe shoot for additional bonus?

You can use the middle element to count in two different connections. So, in your scenario of pirouette, bail, toe to high you would get .2 for the first connection and .2 for the second. Thus, .4 total, but at L9 you can obviously only get .3.

Just to clarify-- the bail is a D if it goes to OR comes from handstand. Is that correct? So she couldn't have done it from handstand in level 8. Right?

Anyway, if she does bail to handstand, directly into the toe shoot, isn't it .2 connection bonus right there?

I've always wondered if you can kind of double dip when counting skills for connection. i.e., could she do pirouette, bail for bonus and then connect bail, toe shoot for additional bonus?

ZJ, she was thinking of doing the bail to hs(which she can do) and go right to the step in to toe shoot. She is not good at pirouettes which is one reason she did bails as a L8. She actually did one to hs this seaon by mistake(ooops)and got dinged. Did get some compliments from some other coaches about her "great L9 skill."

Right now, coaches are just throwing so many ideas at her, she's getting frustrated and confused about what will work. With her current skills she's got the 9.7SV and was looking for a logical and maybe interesting way to add bonus. She said watching L9 this year was really boring since looks like everyone does the same thing(ala L8).One coach who was "subbing" thought her blinds(done on a tramp bar) were strong and suggested she work on a 1/2blind(I know it has a name, but forgot it).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back