Coaches Lazy gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a TAAF gymnast who is incredibly lazy. She doesn't want to do the work. She has an excuse for everything. I'll tell her to do something and she will whine about it ask me why...an then just half attempt what I'm telling her to do. I feel like im babysitting. Has anyone had a gymnast like this? If so, what did you do?

I've had success with saying okay when they refuse and letting them sit out but then not allowing them to do something I intentionally plan to be fun later. For example, if they didn't do the arm conditioning, why would I let them try a backhandspring where they need strong arms? They are typically so sad that the next practice is an improvement.
Sometimes the fun thing I keep them from doesn't even correlate with the part they sat out of but I make it seem so.

I had one of these kids, but solved the problem by telling her mother she was coming to the gym for social purposes, and gymnastics was about the fourth priority on her agenda while in the gym. I added that I couldn't, in good faith, allow her to waste her time and parent's money. The resolution was a one week vacation from gym.... without pay..... and a let's see attitude when she returned. She never returned.

I do that even with my young students. If you don't want to do the "boring" task, you don't get to do the fun ones. I tell them so at that time, but with older gymnasts I'm not sure if I would or not, simply let it be a lesson learned and "shock" them a bit. With my little guys though, I make it clear that if they don't want to task A they won't get to do fun game B or skill B because with really young kids you have to let them know the expectations up front. With anyone over 6-7yo, I would just let them make their choice and then be faced with the consequence, hoping they would listen and work harder next time. Depending on age and reaction, I might also tell the parent what I did and why.

are you kidding? we all have seen that kind of kid. bye-bye are the words that come to mind. :)

I don't have time ... they leave my event's. I can apply that time to someone else. I have a kid in my group just like that now. And my rule is, if you get kicked off one of my events, then you get kicked off both. She tends to pick and chose what events she wants to work on. Nope! not today or as Kevin Hart says,"You gonna learn today!"

I have those gymnasts, three of them!! They are 14 and 15 years old and they behave just like you described. When it's time to do vault they are too tired to run, when it's time to do bars their hands are hurting, when it's time to do beam they would love to do floor etc...
They skip side stations or do them with 40% effort. They cheat on conditioning.... And still they say they like gym and don't want to quit. I don't know what to do with them. I mean, they are not babies anymore. We have had several discussions and I have told their parents about their behavior but nothing seems to work. I have considered about sending them home but I don't really know if that would work either

I would love to send them to Dunno's gym for a month!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back