Parents Learned something at Physical Therapy - Vestibular

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gracyomalley

Proud Parent
DS 14 is recovering from a concussion, and due to his persistent balance issues and gym, was sent to see a PT who specializes in vestibular/balance issues. It was VERY eye opening.

DS is improving, and has excellent balance for the average kiddo, but the PT did give him some exercises and said no dangerous stuff until a full 6 weeks out (we had him clarify specifics with that - and he seemed to know what we were talking about! DS is a little bummed, but actually the gym is off for 2 weeks due to having to move buildings over Christmas, so when that's over he'll be back to his doubles and triples in the pit, etc...).

What was so eye opening is that the PT described what happens to a gymnast especially with back tumbling fast movements, when the vestibular system is "off" either from rapid growth, injury, past infections, puberty, etc. He described how we balance to DS, and how with rapid backward movements the things we use to correct our vestibular system (vision, body awareness in space) are harder to access - so a kid can feel dizzy or "lost in space" and have a hard time "correcting" - especially on beam or flying around a bar....THEN our bodies respond with an adrenaline release (fight or flight) to the sensation, which leads to mental and emotional stress, rapid heart beat, blood pressure up, etc - its a physical thing, NOT FEAR at this point....

What he would like DS to do if this occurs is stop, break the skill down and use his visual cues, and body awareness (feel the floor through balls of feet, focus on opposite side of room, find core body, etc) and only then when completely balanced, try again....allowing that this process could take a long time, depending upon why the vestibular system is off (ie concussion a few weeks, physical growth - months to years). If any stress response is resulting (rapid heart beat, fear, tears etc) then STOP as that will set up physiologic cycle that leads to fear and ongoing issues. NO such thing as "toughing it out" here....great to face and acknowledge the fear, but if not also working on the balance/grounding your system stuff then the dizziness, etc will re-occur - leading to frustration on the part of everyone.

I am sure this doesn't apply to every kid - but when I told my L8 DD who developed a "fear' of BHS-BHS series on beam 2 years ago which spread to back tumbling and then giants, tried to "be tough" and "not let the fear defeat her" for 2 years, decided she was clearly a bad gymnast who didn't "want it enough" and left the gym for 2 months, just now back the last 6 weeks - she smiled a huge grin. And did back tumbling that day at gym for first time in 4 months, acro series on beam yesterday for first time since JUNE....I think she's growing out of the physical issues finally (almost done growing, toward end of puberty at 12 1/2), and finally and "expert" (as in not mom) explained to her what went on in her body and that it wasn't her failing. I'm sure hind sight is 20-20, but to have a PT so confidently and clearly explain to DS why its important to treat this issue with respect and describe exactly the scenario DD went through to over 2 years, I thought this info might be helpful for other parents!

Gracy - do you mind if I copy this post to a small group of my gym mom friends that aren't on this board? Thanks!

Isn't it funny how kids have to hear everything from a non-parent "expert" in order to believe it? And how wonderful it is that your daughter is beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back