Parents Leo child L vs adult extra small

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ruth

Proud Parent
What is the difference beteen child L and adult extra small or small Leos? My child is 6 and her torso is long. She complains that some of her child L leos are pinching into her shoulders.

Well the adult extra small seems to provide more space for the torso. My DD has the same problem but the xs bunches in the crotch and sometimes hangs in the rear. I get her the xs for practice but for comps Large. I tell her to suck it up! She just turned 11 though so for a 6 year old go for the brands with larger sizing or just stretch the shoulders out!

I would suggest measuring her. Buy her leotards based on torso needs... some brands will even (for a small fee) make a leotard with custom measurements.

My DD is also between a CL and an AXS in leos bc of a long torso. Another option is CL leos with an open back. It fits for much longer and is much more comfortable for those long torso girls.

Have you tried the INTERMEDIATE size, it falls between child and adult sizes, we just went through sizing at our gym and that was one of the sizes we were given to try... I am not happy with them wanting me to commit to our comp Leo size now, for a season that starts in late November, my DD is 9 and I'm scared she's going to hit another growth spurt and we will not fit by season... I will order practice leos but she is still happiest in child meds...

I would also suggest measuring her. Different brands fit differently--our gym sells two different brands (GK and JamWear) and I have noticed that DD doesn't fit well into the JamWear ones. It's like the proportions are wrong for her body type.

Definitely measure her. All brands have different size charts and some are very different. In general, the adult sizes will have more room in the chest and hips so for a younger girl, this may result in excess fabric in those areas. Her long torso will take up some of that fabric but you tend to still get a little bunchiness. Also, the adult sizes will have less in the waist than the child larges because they are made to fit girls whose bodies are changing shape - narrower waist, larger chest, shoulders, hips. The brands that have intermediate sizes usually work week. Also, most brands do make longer torso leos. Sometimes you have to call them to ask which styles they come in.

Have you tried the INTERMEDIATE size, it falls between child and adult sizes, we just went through sizing at our gym and that was one of the sizes we were given to try... I am not happy with them wanting me to commit to our comp Leo size now, for a season that starts in late November, my DD is 9 and I'm scared she's going to hit another growth spurt and we will not fit by season... I will order practice leos but she is still happiest in child meds...
All the intermediate sizes I've seen actually fall between a small and medium, do you know a brand that's different in this?

The only other suggestion I would have would be to try a fabric that is more stretchy. Lycra Leo's like Rebecca's mom or velvet seem to be super stretchy. This may give her a little more torso length without increasing the overall size. I also think I saw long torso options somewhere I recently bought a Leo online. Can't remember what brand it was but maybe worth a little research. Good luck!

We had one leo that we bought at a big meet that was a Child XL. It was the only time I have ever seen that intermediate size. I wish we still had the leo so I could check the brand, but DD has outgrown it and it went off to our gym's used leo sale. Let me see if I can try and find info on the vendor.

Sorry, I went and looked at the meet website because it lists vendors but it doesn't list this leo vendor. Darn it, I wish I still had that leo and could tell you the brand...

Not sure about where the intermediate really falls they gave us, child large, intermediate and adult xs to try on the other day and as far as her practice leos go she feels best in child medium...

Velvet/velour is usually more stretchy, also plain lycra is more stretchy than the shiny metallic lycra. Strappy designs can be good if tightness in the shoulders is a problem with the tank style leos. Different brands vary a lot in how they fit. Some brands offer a long torso option. Melody makes a CXL size, and I think they will make a long torso option if requested. I have also been known to stretch out one or two of DD's leos when she complained of tightness under the arms.

Unfortunately sometimes there is no choice of brands but Gk when it comes to leos. If I get to chose between training leos then yes we can shop around. But when gym says what size you want us to order and they have no idea what kind they will order, that might be challenging.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back