Parents Leos Need Handwashing, Right?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
My son's the gymnastics guy, but I scored a leo for his 3yo sister at a used kids clothing store for $3.50. It's the fancy kind that goes for $40 at the gym, so score.
But....I can't just throw it in the wash can I? Does it need to be handwashed and air dried? I'm totally deficient in laundry skills...

I've always hand washed them but it's a local brand and the fabric does run a lot, even after a year of washing!

With all the major brand leotards I just turn them inside out and wash them with a load of delicates and hang them to dry.

If you're saddled with a Dreamlight leo, the brand who thinks parent of team gymnasts have time to deal with their ridiculous washing instructions, I send you prayers. Who the frack has time to do a 10 step leotard washing that requires distilled water? For heavens sake, that's just nuts!

Experience of washing lots of mystique fabric- hand washing with detergent leads to decreased shine, if you use fabric hand wash stuff it stays shinier longer. Haven't dared try the machine!

I throw them in the wash with anything, and same goes with the dryer. I turned the one with rhinestones inside out. They all are fine, and through my bargain hunting I have every brand.

I machine wash on cold with the regular laundry and then hang dry. Never had a problem!! I do carefully handwash DD's competition leo though. I'm not messing with mesh sleeves and rhinestones!!

I have 2 teen gymnast daughters, so each week I have a full load of leos, sports bras and booty shorts. And leggings in winter. We have a newish high efficiency front load washer, and I throw them in (even comp leos and warm ups) on the "hand wash" setting. I dry them in the dryer on the lowest heat setting.

I do turn anything with crystals inside out, and hang dry the comp leos. Been doing this for 9 years so far. I don't think I'd put them in a top load washer through. Wait - who am I kidding - I would never hand wash 10 leos a week!!

I'm one of the crazy ones, I hand wash almost all DDs leos. There are a few really plain ones that I just toss in the wash with similar colors, but I like using fabric softener (love fragrance) and that's a no-no on Mystique and other shiny fabrics. So, I hand wash and line dry.
I should mention that I also have a gazillion ballet tights and delicate dance wear to hand wash, so doing the leos at the same time isn't adding much to my workload. Between 14-20hrs of gym and 20-25hrs of dance classes/wk, I do a large handwash load every week. :) I really should teach the girls to do it themselves.... :)

Important ones like her competition leo. Hand wash, air dry.

If it has bling, inside out, delicate, air dry.

Practice ones, no bling, in with the regular wash and dry.

As much time as DD spends in a Leo, I won't abide by a high maintenance Leo. If it can't be washed normally then it doesn't get purchased. I hang them up to dry but if I miss it during the transfer then the Leo may go through the occasional dryer cycle. To me, it's just a Leo, not a prom dress!

I have thrown all our leos-even the dream light ones- into the washing machine with everything else. We have every fabric and lots of brands. All leos except competition leos also go in the dryer. I have dried those too, accidentally, with no ill effects at all.

DD just tosses all of her leos in the washer and dryer. Seems to have worked just fine. Only one that gets hand washed is the comp leo.

Another vote for turning them inside out and throwing them in with the regular wash. Just count how many go in so you know how many you throw in so none get accidentally into the dryer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back