Parents Level 4 and grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our gym it is up to the coach. Beyond that I am not sure if there is any hard or fast rule.

When she decided to put Midget in grips, really palm guards, a few of the other girls went out and got some but she doesn't let them use them. It is not until she says so. LOL

DD was expecting grips right after L4 season ended. Previously, grips were rite of passage into L5 and couldn't wait to get them! She had her Kip and L5 bar routine and still no grips becasue all of a sudden coach decided girls should wait until maybe L6. So tears and frustration from several of the girls who dreamed about the grips including my DD. We talked over and over again about disadvantages of the grips and then all of a sudden coach allowed them to get grips ugh! Drama over which ones to buy, measure hands and finally order. Recev'd them in June just as we were LEAVING old gym. DD hadn't really broken them in yet, still getting used to them but LOVED them and lost no skills using them. New gym didn't like them, they were the buckel w/dowel and girls put them away and had to do bars without for a couple weeks. Then they were told they can use them and smile and grips came back out! DD has never been happier. Some of the L's though at this gym just have palm guards that look like grips but seem to not have the dowel. Most of the girls don't like them and don't want to even use them. My DD did get a rip but not from gymnastics, from school yard bars and contests on monkey bars, LOL. The rip was NASTY and I had to really tape her hand up underneath the grips for practice. So far no rips around the grips.

I think all gyms are different. Some allow as L4's but most around here start at L5 when they are really doing more hours and more bar work. Some girls do like them and some don't. Make sure you ask coach exactly what he/she wants your DD to use too...they know what is best!

DD had palm guards at her gym in TX but her coach here in WA doesn't allow the girls to wear them. DD was a little disappointed when she brought them to her first practice here and they stayed in her bag. We had gotten those guards after dd had made some major progression on the bars at her old gym and I think they meant a lot to her, but she did as her coach asked and now they are in her closet, she still gets them out occasionally when no one is looking:p!
As far as grips, the girls must have their kip before being allowed to wear them. I do not know if it is a strict requirement that they must have grips once their kip is mastered, but all our team girls that have that skill have grips. I think we have 2 L5 girls that do not have grips and none of our L4 girls have theirs just yet.

My DD had palm protectors at level 4 because she has very tender skin and was working lots of bars and getting lots of rips. She got the velcro dowel grips at level 5 before she started training kips. The coach said what was the point of learning skills without grips then have to re-learn them with grips. She is now a level 7 and has gone to the double buckle grips because they don't slip as much as the velcro. Also they are narrower and fit her hand better.

The girls in our gym can't wear grips until level 6. Actually, as soon as the Level 5 season was done they were fitted for them so they start breaking them in over the summer. I guess it depends on the gym.

Same in our gym. In fact, even then most don't even use grips unless they are dowel grips. Our L4's or L5's arent permitted at all. besides, those big ol grips on those little hands looks awkward.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back