WAG level 4 beam score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would say 9.0-9.1. But then again I see compulsory routines that look great to me score in the 8's all the time. Compulsories are judged extremely tough around here. And I'm no judge either but she did a very nice job. Once she cleans up the cartwheel a bit I would expect to see her score go up by at least .3

The video is very fuzzy for me also, so I struggled on seeing how tight she was or small form errors. Somewhere between 8.3 and 8.7 I am thinking...8.3 if they take max deductions, 8.7 if they don't. It still is a very nice routine!

Hard to see details, but I'm at about an 8.5. One of the biggest deductions, which I know because a few of my girls were nailed for it at the beginning of the season last year, was jump/leap amplitude. They can take up to .2 for each. I doubt she got the whole .6 for her leap and both jumps, but I would guess somewhere around .4.
It's a very nice routine and I would expect it to be in the 9s as the season progresses, just a few details to iron out. Compulsory beam is hard.

Almost impossible to tell and also depends on the state, but in my state probably an 8.7-8.8. Maybe a little lower at this time of year, 8.5-8.6. Our scores are pretty high at states, now I gotta get back into beginning of season mindset :)

It's a competent routine. Nothing to worry about. Her score will go up.

3 tenths on the cartwheel, could have been a low 9. I find the jumps more problematic than the leap, overall rhythm and I didn't really time with the video but I'm going to assume OT because level 4 beam time is pretty tight and she was moving fairly slow.

I would say a 8.7 as well. My DD competed lvl 4 last year (2015). The biggest deductions are of course coming from the major wobble after the cartwheel, but also the handstand. We were told you could get as much as a .30 deduction for not going all the way up and holding it. Her leap also needs more distance. She seemed to 'hop' in place. My DD had that problem too until they showed us a video of how to get more height and distance (by swinging the leaping leg below the side of the beam). It allowed her to jump quite far and score in the 9.3s most of the time (when she didn't fall off).

It's been my experience that it is helpful to ask this forum for opinions, but also when someone shares where the dedications are. This way your daughter can focus on perfecting one things at a time. Good luck! ;)

Thanks all, she got an 8.5. The reason this seemed low is that she did a worse routine, leap, split jump and handstand were far worse and she fell in the cartwheel. That routine was an 8.3. So comparing the two routines it seemed this one should have been much higher.

Thanks all, she got an 8.5. The reason this seemed low is that she did a worse routine, leap, split jump and handstand were far worse and she fell in the cartwheel. That routine was an 8.3. So comparing the two routines it seemed this one should have been much higher.

I sneaked a peak at the scores on mymeetscores.com after a pp mentioned she saw it there (and I couldn't wait any more), and I believe it said 8.550. (Do I win the prize?). Anyway, there are a lot of factors that weigh in for a score. A lot of pps mentions the obvious things, but missed the little things that add up.

A bent knee is up to .3, but a less than horizontal kick is only up to .1; so it's better for her to maybe have lower kicks with straighter legs, rather then higher kicks with bent knees. Her leap is not a leap, but more like a tick-tock. I took the most on that. Her jumps need more amplitude, and overall sureness needs some work. She was also pretty slow (and deliberate, I like that, it's just there is a time limit), so some rhythm problems. She must achieve vertical in both handstands, and there are hold times for handstand, arabesque, and dismount. From the angle of the video, she looked a little arched in her dismount.

She can fix these things, she seems to have good body awareness, and she didn't fall. Level 4 has tougher scoring, too.

She can fix these things, she seems to have good body awareness, and she didn't fall. Level 4 has tougher scoring, too.

I know this, I am saying many things were better than a routine 4 weeks ago, where she did fall, yet the score was less than .2 higher. So scoring meet to meet is not necessarily consistent.

I know this, I am saying many things were better than a routine 4 weeks ago, where she did fall, yet the score was less than .2 higher. So scoring meet to meet is not necessarily consistent.
Did she place around the same?

You really will drive yourself crazy trying to compare judging meet to meet. DD got slaughtered at a meet on floor with zero major mistakes. The judges simply tenthed her to death. And no, she didn't place about the same. That is a ridiculous way to gauge as well because if the judging isn't the same, they won't place the same. Find ways to help her be happy with the things she improves on independent of the score. "Today I stayed on the beam" etc...

You really will drive yourself crazy trying to compare judging meet to meet. DD got slaughtered at a meet on floor with zero major mistakes. The judges simply tenthed her to death. And no, she didn't place about the same. That is a ridiculous way to gauge as well because if the judging isn't the same, they won't place the same. Find ways to help her be happy with the things she improves on independent of the score. "Today I stayed on the beam" etc...

She was quite happy with her improvements, regardless of score, except there is that issue if qualifying to states. She is close but keeps missing. So frustrating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back