WAG Level 5 & 6 mandatory?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

millerjane95

Proud Parent
Hi everyone,

We just moved to our new gym a year ago (from out of states) and I find it odd that this gym requires the girls to compete both level 5 and level 6. No skipping. Isn't this repetitive? Particularly if they have the skills for 7? Many of the 5's (about half) are already competing the BHS on beam and layout on bars in level 5 - yet 6 is required by the 6/7 coach. Is this weird or do gyms do this? Our old gym did not. Don't really want to change gyms over it since we move a lot already (military) but I hate to waste a year.

Thanks!

No, not really common. Most gyms will do one or the other, with the exception being if the gymnast does not have their level 7 skills to move up straight from 5...usually giants are the biggest reason. A lot of girls compete bhs in level 5. A layout flyaway is not required in level 7 although many do it because it's easier out of a giant. Front-handspring front and ro-bhs-layout are also new skills from 5 to 7 but most gymnasts can get those during summer. I would say giants are the biggest reason girls compete 5 AND 6. If your gym has level 6s compete giants then that's a little confusing. But I wouldn't look at it as them wasting a year! Instead, more preparation for 7. And less likely to repeat a level down the road if they get 2 years to basically perfect some of the same skills... (aka more time for up-training, less fears, more time to practice and perfect, no rushing into levels, etc)! :)

We do both... but only because our girls want it that way. We had 3 that competed for the Junior High Team (they use Platinum Xcel Rules, but with High School Bonus... so the routines are L6 ready). They started the season at L5. As soon as they scored out, HC was going to let them move to L6 (we only had 2 girls in L6 at the start of the season). NONE of them wanted to move up this season. They are all going to L6 this coming season (none are even willing to entertain thoughts of L7).

It's unusual, but not necessarily a bad thing. As long as your gym continues to train progressions, competing both could set your athletes up to do well at L6, dominate at L7, and be better prepared to move on to L8 and be competitive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back