WAG Level 5 back handspring on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mamabearof3

Proud Parent
hi!
Some girls on our level 5 team will be competing a back handspring on beam and some will do a back walkover. Do you get extra points for doing a Back handspring?

All is know is Puma Jr is thrilled to be done with L4. Believe it or not, she is way more comfortable with both BWO and BHS on beam than CW. Funny kid! She's not sure which one she is competing yet. Our first meet won't be until Dec so whatever the coaches deem better by then.

Yea true! A girl on the team is more comfortable with the BHS than BWO!! But she's full of muscles and not that flexible so I could see why she's more comfortable with doing a BHS. My dd will compete BHS, but she's comfortable with both.

Reactions: sce
Yes, my DD, too! CW was inconsistent. She says both BWO and BHS are easier. Go figure.

Ditto! CW a mess, both BWO and BHS are clean. Gym tried in vain to get her to CW to BT for a dismount, worked it, and worked it, and worked it. Started new gym, HC said nope hot mess do a BWO to BT!

Ditto! CW a mess, both BWO and BHS are clean. Gym tried in vain to get her to CW to BT for a dismount, worked it, and worked it, and worked it. Started new gym, HC said nope hot mess do a BWO to BT!

Hmmmm. My DD is also having trouble with the CW-BT dismount. Maybe she can do BWO -BT instead.

All is know is Puma Jr is thrilled to be done with L4. Believe it or not, she is way more comfortable with both BWO and BHS on beam than CW. Funny kid! She's not sure which one she is competing yet. Our first meet won't be until Dec so whatever the coaches deem better by then.
CW is a blind move. Bwo and Bhs arent. I would say she is a SMART kid.

Cartwheels shouldn't be blind unless they are doing it wrong. You can keep your eyes on the beam the whole time. BWO and BHS both have a blind phase as you go back, but you can spot the landing very easily.
Cartwheels were also harder to get consistent for me. For me, it had to do with shifting through the sideways phase and back to square on the other side. You also have to land with your non-dominant leg which can be tough. I eventually got that dynamic shift through lots of practice, learning how to adjust depending on small variations in my entry.

Some kids prefer BHS because it requires less back flexibility and they may have better technique in their BHS, since the one-leg-at-a-time part of a BWO can be difficult to get consistent on beam.

No bonus points till level 9 (I believe)
And this might be going a bit off track, but totally related to this question this is what I know from a year at L5 and a year at L7 and from our coaches:

No bonus for doing BHS instead of BWO at L5 - and no penalty for doing a BWO instead of a BHS. It really depends on what the kid does better which she should compete. (same thing for the switch leap on floor and bars layout dismount - these are upgrades that aren't rewarded and the other options aren't penalized at L5)

At L7 - kids can do what is better for them with no bonus and no penalty yet again - so for example on beam, the series can be a BWO - BWO, or a BWO - BHS, or a BHS - BHS and there is not a penalty or bonus for doing one over another. Floor - you can do a FHS - FT or FH - FP, no penalty, no bonus with either. Something we saw at L7 was a vault variation - most times just a FHS vault, but some of our kids would do a FHS full vault instead. No bonus, no penalty once again.

Our coaches have informed us something is changing a bit for L8 this year. It actually was supposed to take place last year, but since it wasn't in writing it wasn't enforced (our head coach is also a very active judge). This is the change: there can be (CAN is the operative word) a deduction this year at L8 if the kids don't have the skill level that most do on an event, even with the kid hitting the required number of As and Bs in a routine. So for example, if on beam, the kids are pretty much all doing BHS-BHS for the series, and one or 2 do a BWO-BHS, (another example - CW-BT beam dismount vs RO-BT dismount) - there can be a slight deduction for the kid not doing the higher level skill that other kids are pretty much all doing. We are talking a pretty small deduction - could be .05, .10, .15 said our coach - but it is something our kids need to be aware of.

So at L5 and L7 no bonuses for doing the 'harder' skills, or deductions for not doing the upgrades. But starting at L8 there are new considerations that come into play.

Great question, I've been wondering also.

Which is healthier for their back?
Which one tends to be incur more deductions?
Healthier for the back depends on back flexibility and proper form and the #s being done... But probably BHS since very few gymnasts do "tuck and roll"s after BWOs... They curl the back the opposite way of the arch and (at least seem to) help prevent or minimize back pain.

Fewer deductions would be whichever is done cleaner ;)

And this might be going a bit off track, but totally related to this question this is what I know from a year at L5 and a year at L7 and from our coaches:

No bonus for doing BHS instead of BWO at L5 - and no penalty for doing a BWO instead of a BHS. It really depends on what the kid does better which she should compete. (same thing for the switch leap on floor and bars layout dismount - these are upgrades that aren't rewarded and the other options aren't penalized at L5)

At L7 - kids can do what is better for them with no bonus and no penalty yet again - so for example on beam, the series can be a BWO - BWO, or a BWO - BHS, or a BHS - BHS and there is not a penalty or bonus for doing one over another. Floor - you can do a FHS - FT or FH - FP, no penalty, no bonus with either. Something we saw at L7 was a vault variation - most times just a FHS vault, but some of our kids would do a FHS full vault instead. No bonus, no penalty once again.

Our coaches have informed us something is changing a bit for L8 this year. It actually was supposed to take place last year, but since it wasn't in writing it wasn't enforced (our head coach is also a very active judge). This is the change: there can be (CAN is the operative word) a deduction this year at L8 if the kids don't have the skill level that most do on an event, even with the kid hitting the required number of As and Bs in a routine. So for example, if on beam, the kids are pretty much all doing BHS-BHS for the series, and one or 2 do a BWO-BHS, (another example - CW-BT beam dismount vs RO-BT dismount) - there can be a slight deduction for the kid not doing the higher level skill that other kids are pretty much all doing. We are talking a pretty small deduction - could be .05, .10, .15 said our coach - but it is something our kids need to be aware of.

So at L5 and L7 no bonuses for doing the 'harder' skills, or deductions for not doing the upgrades. But starting at L8 there are new considerations that come into play.

Very interesting! Good info to know!

I also found your vault comment interesting! Dd competed lv 7 last year and I never once saw a variation on vault! Crazy how different regions have different experiences! :)

What you are referring to is the "not up to competitive level" deduction which applies to bars, beam and floor in L8 and above. It is "up to .3" and it is not a new deduction, however what your coach is referring to is that for beam this year the code specifies what is/is not considered 'up to level" whearas in the past it was rather vague. So in the past it was more a comparison to what others were doing, now it actually specifies to take the deduction if for example, only one skill in the series has flight and there are no other flight skills. Now that L8 allows one C skill on each event, I think it will become more common to need that C skill to not incure at least a partial "not up to competitive level" deduction.
Since there are no composition deductions at L6 and L7, as long as those routines have the required skills and value parts there is no differentiation for doing harder skills. And in compulsories, it is just about doing the chosen skills the cleanest as far as points go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back