WAG Level 5 End Poses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Question, it says you can do anything as long as you are not standing up.
So I'm wondering if I could end in a elbow stand? Would this be okay since I would not be standing up?

If level five is like the old level six, is it still kneeling? If so, in out gym at least you were limited to just your arms? Idk if that's the case with the new rules though.

I guess technically the text doesn't address this except for saying "not standing", but seeing as there are only two beats of music, I think it would be difficult to accomplish anything that different without getting additional deductions.

At the workshop, the demonstrator ended in an arch pose with both feet and one hand on the floor (kinda like a Valdez beginning). It was very pretty and she had plenty of time to do so as that last note kind of fades out.

Yes, listening to the music I believe I'd have time as your sitting, I'd come to my knees and then kick up so it wouldn't be too difficult. I was just making sure I wouldn't be deducted for doing an elbow stand!

You will not get "extra points" for that skill in Compulsories. If I were you I wouldn't risk doing it and not staying in time with the music and actually be deducted points for a skill you didn't need to put in your routine.

For me elbow stands are pretty solid and look nice. I just tried it to the music an I think it could work. First post I did this small pose while sitting on my knees and then I just pushed off of my knees with my toes into the elbow stand if that makes sense. It worked well. I don't think it looks as nice when you kick up. It looks better with legs together. Kind of like when you come out of the back extension but in reverse.

Yes, listening to the music I believe I'd have time as your sitting, I'd come to my knees and then kick up so it wouldn't be too difficult. I was just making sure I wouldn't be deducted for doing an elbow stand!

I think you will actually get deductions either way. As a coach I would not even consider it. Also, I'm still sure it questionable because I am sure the intention of the committee was for the end poses to be sitting or laying down, not standing or standing on hands/elbows (inverted). This will probably be a point of clarification in the next couple months.

Well they can't deduct you for doing nothing wrong. They specified torso, arms, focus, and legs are optional. You just can't be standing.

But if the pose is a "judgeable" skill, the judges can take execution deductions and general faults and penalties. Performing a simple pose at the end would get no deduction, where as if you chose to do splits as your end pose, you had better have a 180 split or it's points off. If you choose an elbow stand, what happens if you accidentally fall? Or you don't make it? Or you finish behind the music? Points off.

If you choose something simple, you're doing yourself a favor.

I was thinking it was going to be easy and perfect but I realized it may not be. When I did it it seemed fine, nothing wrong with execution, artistry. But I do see that it may not be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back