Parents Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The run isn't judged in level 5, they are looking for a straight body on and off the vault, there are deductions for pike or arched bodies. Straight arms on the table and when pushing off. Distance and height from table. Stuck landing. Also the obvious, pointed toes, straight legs, legs together.

Bars, straight arm glide kip, straight arm front hip circle, body past horizontal on casts. Straight body, jumping between bars, straight arm long hang kip, past horizontal cast, back hip circle, with hip/upper thighs touching the bar. They look for an upward motion at the end of the back hip circle, tap swings forward motion you need a slight hallow body, straight (deduction for pike and arches), toes above the bar, back swing, straight line from hands to hips, toes above bar (pointing up) before initiating half turn, hand needs to touch the bar, stuck landing. On everything, straight legs, pointed toes, continuous movement. If you stop between the glide kip and front hip circle (or anything), you will get a deduction.

There are some videos on YouTube, showing perfect and near perfect level 5 bar routines. Also check out some higher scored vaults.

I know I am forgetting some things...

The run isn't judged in level 5, they are looking for a straight body on and off the vault, there are deductions for pike or arched bodies. Straight arms on the table and when pushing off. Distance and height from table. Stuck landing. Also the obvious, pointed toes, straight legs, legs together.

Bars, straight arm glide kip, straight arm front hip circle, body past horizontal on casts. Straight body, jumping between bars, straight arm long hang kip, past horizontal cast, back hip circle, with hip/upper thighs touching the bar. They look for an upward motion at the end of the back hip circle, tap swings forward motion you need a slight hallow body, straight (deduction for pike and arches), toes above the bar, back swing, straight line from hands to hips, toes above bar (pointing up) before initiating half turn, hand needs to touch the bar, stuck landing. On everything, straight legs, pointed toes, continuous movement. If you stop between the glide kip and front hip circle (or anything), you will get a deduction.

There are some videos on YouTube, showing perfect and near perfect level 5 bar routines. Also check out some higher scored vaults.

I know I am forgetting some things...

I love the casts on this one, but she was deducted (or should have been) for legs slightly apart on dismount:
Almost perfect Level 5 bar routine - YouTube

Actually, the cast in level 5 bars only has to be at horizontal, as far as I know...and arms do not need to be completely straight in front hip circle.

Actually, the cast in level 5 bars only has to be at horizontal, as far as I know...and arms do not need to be completely straight in front hip circle.

The front hip circle is like Level 4s, arms need to be straight at the completion of the skill, when they are back on top of the bar, not all the way through. The higher casts, will set the top bar scores apart from the rest of the field. Our girls are trained to cast past horizontal, because you don't want to leave it up to the judges, to determine whether or not it is horizontal. You don't want to give them any doubt. The girls at our gym scoring 9.5s and above on bars, are casting well above horizontal. Besides, one of my friend is a judge and that is what she looks for.

Well if you cast to horizontal, which is the requirement, you should not get a deduction. If you cast above horizontal you should not score higher. There is no bonus in compulsories. It drives me insane to hear judges say they are looking for something that exceeds the requirements. The requirements are the requirements! You are not allowed to separate routines by rewarding those who exceed the requirements....okay getting off soap box now...

Well if you cast to horizontal, which is the requirement, you should not get a deduction. If you cast above horizontal you should not score higher. There is no bonus in compulsories. It drives me insane to hear judges say they are looking for something that exceeds the requirements. The requirements are the requirements! You are not allowed to separate routines by rewarding those who exceed the requirements....okay getting off soap box now...

It is so subjective sometimes and completely frustrating. We learned our lesson last year. When my DD was a second yr level 4 (required at our gym), she never scored below a 9.2 on bars, after competing bars first meet of the season, a fairly clean routine, the judge awarded her an 8.6. There was a big uproar, the 2 judges were arguing, my dd crying, the coaches were mad. She lost .6 on her cut back because as the judge stated it "not enough cutting back action" nevermind, she performed the skill cleanly which was the "minimum.". It was a completely subjective call on the one judge, unfortunately the head judge. So our lesson learned was to try and never leave anything up to interpretating from the judge. A "horizontal" cast might not look horizontal depending on the angle. There is a gray area in there, where one judge might think it is horizontal and another won't. You want to leave no doubt that the minimum requirement was met.

The level 5 vault score is also somewhat objective, the judges need to determine if the height and distance from the table is worthy of no deductions. There are no defined parimeters, like x high, x distance. So what does a gymnast do? try and find her inner McKayla and go for it.

Each judge has his or her own idea about what is a perfect routine.

A "horizontal" cast might not look horizontal depending on the angle. There is a gray area in there, where one judge might think it is horizontal and another won't. You want to leave no doubt that the minimum requirement was met.
Cast as high as you can while maintaining form and control. The horizontal cast is just a progression on the way to cast to handstand. May as well be competing the highest cast you can manage (and if you can consistently straight body cast to handstand with good form, you shouldn't be competing level 5), since you're going to have to get it higher for the next level anyway.

Our coaches don't want girls meeting the requirements when they go to meets - they want girls going for it. They tell them all the time that if they go for it and fall, that's no big deal, but they don't want them out there being careful and holding back.

I don't ever want to know the minutia of the requirements of L5! I think I would go crazy watching!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back