WAG Level 7 bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
DD is competing l 7 for the second time. Hopefully moves up during meet season. She was asking if this routine has a 10 SV now that she finally has a giant. Kip. Pike on jump to HB. Kip cast HS or at least to above 45. Clear Hip to 45 Giant Giant Flyaway. I think this is missing an A. Is that .2? or do they count the second giant as an A like they do the Clear hip as a B. Also if she does a sole circle after the pike on that should be the 5th A correct? HC wasn't sure she didn't have her COP at the gym. They have a week before 1st meet. They would like as few casts as possible.

From what I have learned so far (I'm in the same boat)
This fulfills the requirements with the least number of deductions. But the casts must be close to handstand or else you will incur the deductions for each one. I assume this is why they want to limit them......does she get to handstand on the clear hip? She needs the clear hip and then another giant before the flyaway.
I think you only need two Bs and this would cover it but make sure all the handstands are 45 below vertical.....or else you may rise getting no credit.....

As long as the cast on the high bar hits 45 degrees, it will have a 10 SV. That is the routine our most advanced level 7's on bars do because it minimizes possible deductions while still meeting requirements. And they do score the highest with it. Our 7's that don't do that routine usually don't do it because they physically can't ;).

And wanted to add that even if the cast on the high bar doesn't hit 45, you are likely still better off doing that routine because losing the .5 is probably less than all the deductions that would occur from doing a second cast on the low bar and the kip out of the free hip back to to the squat on. Plus it's more energy expended to do more skills and my affect stamina during her Giants causing deductions there too.

This is how my DD has explained it all to me :).

Meets the requirements, but may have a lot of deductions. Cast angles, and trying to giant from less than an handstand might produce funky, archy shape in giants. Kipper was disappointed when her 10.0 sv routine only scored mid 8's at the beginning of the season. There were no major mistakes, just deductions for cast angles and giant shapes. (and her casts were well above 45 degrees). Success in bars at optional levels all begins with strong, confident handstands. No where to go until they master that skill. (kipper struggles with this as well, but learned to do a straddle cast to HS in L6.) Just curious, what did your dd compete on bars last year?

DD is doing:

Low bar: kip, cast (not to HS, but often at 30 degrees), clearhip (also not to HS but to 45 degrees), kip, squat on, jump to high bar
High bar: kip cast (to HS or within 10-15 degrees), giant, flyaway

I think this is bare minimum, should meet the requirements and have a 10 SV.

You do need 2 B skills but there are several skills that can get you that: the cast if to HS - 20 degrees is a B, clear hip even if only to horizontal, and giant. So our gym doesn't really ever have the girls do 2 giants in level 7 as there doesn't really seem to be a need for it.

DD usually does the second giant because she has better momentum for her flyaway. Her B's are good but I wasn't sure if she was missing an A. My post was pretty rambling though. I know in L 8 the clear hip handstand counts as B. Since Cs are not allowed. I was wondering if one of the B's would count as an A if she doesn't have enough. I think she took the missing A last year to avoid the huge cast deductions.Does the pike on jump to high have any value or is just a necessary transition? One more question along the same lines. She wants to add her l 8 skills as the season moves along. Full twist to floor switch leap on beam etc. already has decent Tsuk. She does a run under high bar to springboard straddle HS on low bar pirouette can she do this mount in 7?

stoop/squat/straddle on jump to HB is an A skill. Extra skills of higher difficulty can count for skills of lower difficulty. The pirouette is a C, not allowed at L7 but is allowed at L8 as it is used for SR of long axis turn. Sounds like your DD is doing great! Enjoy the season!

DD usually does the second giant because she has better momentum for her flyaway. Her B's are good but I wasn't sure if she was missing an A. My post was pretty rambling though. I know in L 8 the clear hip handstand counts as B. Since Cs are not allowed. I was wondering if one of the B's would count as an A if she doesn't have enough. I think she took the missing A last year to avoid the huge cast deductions.Does the pike on jump to high have any value or is just a necessary transition? One more question along the same lines. She wants to add her l 8 skills as the season moves along. Full twist to floor switch leap on beam etc. already has decent Tsuk. She does a run under high bar to springboard straddle HS on low bar pirouette can she do this mount in 7?

Lv 8 will allow 1 C on beam, floor, and bars. You can not flip a vault (tsuk or yurchenko) until lv 8. My personal opinion, having been through lv 7 last year and currently in lv 8 with dd, a clean minimum will always always outscore an ok routine with allowable upgrades! I am a firm believer in minimal clean routines at meets with lots and lots of up-training at the gym. If your daughter has allowable upgrades, a good place to present them will be at regionals (if she makes it).

Best wishes!

Can they do a giant on the low bar? Or is that a big deduction? I ask because my DD said she has her giant on the low bar but not the high bar and her routine has her doing it on the low bar.????

Most gymnasts are too tall to do that. I don't think I've ever seen it done, although I'm not sure if there is a specific rule against it.

Can they do a giant on the low bar? Or is that a big deduction? I ask because my DD said she has her giant on the low bar but not the high bar and her routine has her doing it on the low bar.????

I don't know if it is allowed. Is she short enough to do so without bending her legs?

What about a toe hand? Are they okay/common for L7?

I guess it depends on your region. A toe hand is not a common skill for my area for lv 7 or lv 8 (although dd is competing a toe on to handstand in her lv 8 routine). I did see a stalder to handstand once last year when dd competed lv 7. So, not sure if it's a B, but it sounds like it could be. If it's an allowable skill, and she's competition ready, it could allow your dd to stand out!

All low bar giants performed with extended body/legs will retain the same value as the corresponding high bar giant.
There is also 4.203: On Low bar - backward giant circle with 1/2 (180º) turn to handstand (on either side). The illustration shows knees completely bent on the bottom of the swing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back